• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrZiffix

Where to begin?

This topic is 2499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello people im 15 and i have been wanting to get into game development for a while now but i just dont know were to start. Like what program to choose where can i learn to use the program the best. I have been looking at some c++ tutorials and know some stuff but after looking around the internet i see people saying that c++ is not the best for beginners and some are saying it is. Im just totally lost on were to start and whats the best program for me to use. Also if there is anymore advice you can give me on game development and maybe a place to help me understand on how programming and engines go together.

Advertisement
as for programming and engines, an engine is basically a set of tools that simplify some aspects of gamedevelopment, in some cases the engine includes libraries that you link against (basically .lib and .h files for a C or C++ engine) and in others its a finished executable that runs scripts that you write in a scripting language.

The engine takes care of all the low level details that most games have in common so that you don't have to do it, an engine is not necessary to make a game (But for large or complex games using one will save alot of time).

When you start out the most important thing is that you learn how to program.
The actual language isn't all that important, once you know how to program you can pick up new languages fairly easily anyway and thus when starting out you really want a language that you don't have to wrestle with.

C++ is a good language to know but it shouldn't be your first language, nor should it be your last, you will need to learn several languages to become a good productive programmer.
There are a few languages that i think every programmer should atleast be somewhat familiar with:
C#, Java, C++,JavaScript + atleast 1 functional language(Haskell or SML for example) and one embeddable scripting language (Python and lua are popular choices)
Since i would recommend that you learn multiple languages anyway it would be quite silly of me to recommend that you start with the one language that will give you insane amounts of headache (Learning how to program will give you headaches enough by itself so there is little need for more of that)

As for why C++ will give you headaches you can google undefined behaviour, buffer overflow, segmentation fault, stack corruption and memory leak(There are more problems aswell that you'll encounter with C++), then you can add the fact that C++ doesn't even support basic things like graphics or even keyboard and mouse input (While languages such as C# and Java has those things and alot more in their standard libraries).

Thus i'd recommend that you go with C# and XNA to start with, it is enough to let you make games matching the quality of the current generation of consoles(If you want to take advantage of newer PC GPUs then you can use SlimDX with C# aswell but it isn't as beginner friendly as XNA), Once you've made 4-5 simple games you can either start making something bigger or make a few more small games or tools using a different language.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!