• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
meeshoo

A special kind of Fog-Of-War

This topic is 2495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I'm trying to get a special kind of fog of war done using Unity 3D game engine.
I call it special because at first there is none on the map. Then, as I drive my character around, I want to leave some persistent trail (tinted fog) that remains there until the end of the level. I want to do this to mark the places where character has been before.

Any ideas how can I do that?

Thanks!

Advertisement
I'm not using Unity, but in my game engine I have two fog of war related states, "Discovered" and "Visible". If a tile is not discovered, its completely black. If a tile is discovered but not visible, I draw it in a darkened state, and if it is discovered and visible, I draw it normally.

I have that to in another game prototype I've made which is tile-based. However on this one I have a terrain which is not tile based, it is just a terrain. Anyway, I decided the effect is not as desirable as I thought it was as first, so I consider this topic closed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!