• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PhantomRonin

Switch language or keep with what I know

This topic is 2492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was looking to make a little game and I am not sure what to use. I currently have been using C++/SDL but I have been hearing how easy it is to C#/XNA so I was think of giving it a try. So I was wondering if it is worth it to change to C#/XNA? Is C#/XNA really any easier or better then C++/SDL. I plan on making a 2d Zelda style game if that makes a difference.

Advertisement
Why not just make a really small game using C#/XNA to see what you think of it ? (something like pong or snake could be done in a few hours)

XNA is from a feature and performance point of view more powerful than SDL (unless you toss in OpenGL but i'm guessing you're not doing that) for a 2D game however it most likely doesn't make any difference(unless you rotate or zoom sprites in which case you need to be careful with SDL), (the development version (1.3) of SDL performs alot better than 1.2 though but its documentation is a bit shoddy still so i wouldn't recommend it for a beginner)

I use C++/SDL, but i wanted to see what C#/XNA was about. I had to learn C# wich isn't all that hard considering I have experience programming. I was really shocked at how easy XNA is. You should try it to see if you like it. I like SDL more because I can run it on linux.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!