I can't use SDL_mixer with my favourite IDE

Started by
5 comments, last by Commodore256 12 years, 2 months ago
Hey, I'm new here and I have issues with SDL_mixer in Windows.

My problem is I HATE IDES! I My favourite IDE is GCC/G++ and a Text Editor.

The UI of IDEs just gets in my way and It's easier for me to use flags than to have a menu system that's it's easy to break things.

That's a problem with SDL_mixer, they only have static libs for Visual C++, not MinGW

They do have a source code where it's too much BS to look for buildtime dependencies in Windows.

In Linux that's easy,

# apt-get build-dep libsdl-mixer-1.2

In Windows, I have to find out what the dependencies are, find them, find out what are the dependencies for my dependencies, find them, etc. (apt automates that stuff)

So, I would like to know a solution to this that doesn't involve building dependencies or using visual studio.
Advertisement
DependencyWalker can help you find missing dependencies. You could also read the documentation of SDL_mixer to find the dependencies.

You do know that SDL_mixer is an extension to SDL, right? So if you're project doesn't use SDL, I'm not sure whether it works as standalone.
There are also pre-built MinGW builds of SDL_mixer.
Dependency Walker looks like a tool for hacking binaries and it looks intimidating to use.

You do know that SDL_mixer is an extension to SDL, right? So if you're project doesn't use SDL, I'm not sure whether it works as standalone.
There are also pre-built MinGW builds of SDL_mixer.

The why does the download page offer a SDL-devel-1.2.15-mingw32.tar.gz and not a SDL_mixer-devel-1.2.15-mingw32.tar.gz ?

I could only find pre-compiled runtime libraries, not non-Visual C++ buildtime. (I can't use visual studio)

I tried early versions of my code that didn't use SDL_mixer and it worked because I had the SDL and the SDLmain files ending with .a and .la, those are the Static libs for MinGW, I couldn't find a SDL_mixer.a/SDL_mixer.la for MinGW sad.png
I went through this problem lately, this works just fine with MinGW. Put SDL_mixer.lib file in your lib directory.
lol, human error I tried the SDL_mixer.lib, but it didn't work in MinGW, but that's because I wrote the #include wrong, I thought it couldn't read the lib.

If you wanna see what it is, I put in a download link ;)

Dependency Walker [color=#ff0000]looks like a tool for hacking binaries and it [color=#ff0000]looks intimidating to use.

Looks can be deceiving. It's very easy to use, though it provides a (at first glance) confusing interface, you are only wanting it to do one thing: Tell you what your DLLs or EXEs depend upon. That's just the left-panel in a normal "collapsible tree view"-style widget.

And it's not for 'hacking' binaries, just for viewing the binaries. It's not a hex-editor, I don't think. Don't go off of the screenshot on the page I linked - that's what's shown if you "uncollapse" everything to make it viewable - which makes it look more confusing then it really is.

My two greatest problems as a programmer is shying away from what looks confusing without actually investing even an hour to figure it out, and trying to accomplish what seems easy, without taking an hour to plan it through.
By "looks like it's for binary hacking". I was referring to it listing all the functions in a Lib, and I can see the Wine/ReactOS developers (or game crackers) using that for figuring out how to implement a lib or for crackers to remove DRM in Games.

I've used hex editors before, I remember hacking Adobe Air to open links from tweetdeck into xdg-open (whatever my default browser is) instead of firefox. That was before tweetdeck open links in Chrome.

Those were Good Times :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement