• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

StretchRect() Discrepancy

This topic is 2497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, using a checker pattern I did a test like this:

// shrink
d3dDevice->StretchRect(renderTarget,NULL,auxSurface,NULL,D3DTEXF_LINEAR);

// expand to original size
d3dDevice->StretchRect(auxSurface,NULL,renderTarget,NULL,D3DTEXF_LINEAR);

The checker boxes get smaller and smaller from left to right and top to bottom. The smaller surface is exactly 25% of the original (1280x800 to 320x200).

I plan on shrinking, blurring, then expanding for a bloom effect. Should I be using StretchRect() for that ?

Thanks.

Advertisement

I plan on shrinking, blurring, then expanding for a bloom effect. Should I be using StretchRect() for that ?

No, just use a full screen quad or triangle + a pixel shader.

No, just use a full screen quad or triangle + a pixel shader.[/quote]

I plan on using a pixel shader for the blur. Most of the articles I've read say you should reduce the dimensions of the surface before you do a blur.

Yes, what I meant was that you should render a quad if you want to downscale before doing a blur as opposed to using StretchRect.

Yes, what I meant was that you should render a quad if you want to downscale before doing a blur as opposed to using StretchRect.

Thank you. If you didn't clear that up for me I would have still been using StretchRect(). Everything works much better with the quads.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!