Some advice about MSc. in UK Universities

Started by
15 comments, last by Piyush Verma 12 years, 1 month ago
So I have completed my Bachelors of Engineering in IT and I am planning to pursue a MSc program in Games Development in UK. I have to choose between Newcastle University and City University of London. I am also waiting for results from Teesside, Hull, Staffordshire and University of East Anglia and I hope to get their invites very soon. I have gone through various similar topics regarding admission in UK and I inferred that Hull and Staffordshire have very good programs in this field. So can anybody advice me whether the program in Newcastle or City University is as good as Staffordshire or Hull because I checked on multiple places and both these universities have better rankings than Staffordshire and Hull. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I've heard really good things about this course at Abertay from the kind people who work at Creative Assembly in Horsham.
http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/pg/cgt/
I read in some other similar topics that the course at Abertay is not that good, so I decided not to apply there. :(

I read in some other similar topics that the course at Abertay is not that good, so I decided not to apply there. sad.png

It's always a tricky choice. The lack of faith I had in Universities is why I skipped out on a degree altogether and taught myself.

I trusted Creative Assembly's information as they were my closest game studio and a likely place for me to apply to. But it still wasn't enough to convince me to gamble my money on such a risky investment as education.

That being said, I think degrees and masters are fantastic for anyone who benefits from that kind of discipline and is always a benefit for the opportunity to meet like-minded, talented people.

Your success in the industry really revolves around your ability to keep yourself motivated and driven. You'll constantly have to learn and your education will never be complete, so you'll have to enjoy learning new things. If you lack these two traits, I'd save your money and get a job in the business sector of programming. If you have those two traits, do you really need a masters?

I always felt that the best way to become a games programmer is to start programming games.

Just my two cents.
I am just about to finish a BSc at City University, and I know the staff who run the Games MSc. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me :)
Hmm Thanks a lot for your opinion :)

But if there would be someone from newcastle university here who could give their opinion about the course, then it would be awesome.
Hull is generally marked as second for their MSc in Games Programming in the UK, overal markings of a university mean nothing when you want to do a specific field. I did the Hull Games Programming MSc. 3 and a half years ago. I didn't find their course extreemly dificult but I went in with some knowledge of 3D graphics and C/C++. The first semester is generally dedicated to teach you the basics of Graphics and indepth C++. The C++ course is extremely good, I have had compliments about my knowledge of C++ as a junior coder and that is all based on what they thought me at Hull. After that they will teach you basic physics, real time graphics and AI and a group project, this kinda reflects your day to day job in a real company where you have to balance your time against several tasks.

I wouldnt have my current job if I hadn't done this MSc to be honest.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Do CS instead.
Oh thanks a lot! I guess now I'll wait for my offer from the university of Hull also.

@return0 - As I mentioned I have already done cs in my bachelors. And here in India it's a 4 year course which is quite thorough.
I can't really help you much as I am self taught and still learning, from a heavy IT infrastructure background. Do you have a blog or a website where I could follow your progress at all? Always keen to find out more about this type of studying and the creatives that do it.

Cheers,

Pash
Please Add Rep if I helped // Working on untitled 2D platformer (more to come soon)
Twitter - @MarkPashby

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement