How do you make your art?

Started by
21 comments, last by WillTice 12 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering how people make art for their games. I make games but I always use free art. I have always wanted to make art for my games but I don't know how to do it. I have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, 3DS Max, & Maya. I use C# and Java the most to make games. But since I'm more of a programmer than an artist, I want to stop depending on free art and make my own. Anyone know where I can start or offer some advice?

P.S If you also have some more software that I can get for stuff like pixel art, 2d, 3d, etc please let me know.
Advertisement

Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, 3DS Max, & Maya
[/quote]

You seriously dropped that much cash and dont make your own art?

On a serious note... it's called drawing, modeling, painting... it's called making art. Just google drawing tutorials or 3d modeling tutorials.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Myself, I use mostly a mix of Wings3D for modelling and Blender/BMesh for modelling/animating/rendering. I did however just post this tutorial on creating a sprite sheet using Daz Studio 3D and it amazed me how easy the process was. Now I just need to determine how hard it is to bring custom meshes into Daz Studio, which is hard to determine given how crap their documentation is.

If you have little artistic ability, Daz Studio is definitely worth checking out.
Photoshop, Illustrator, and Blender for 3d, which I don't do a lot of.
Really I'd say though, the most important thing, for 2D anyway, is a Wacom tablet.
I've always been particularly interested in visuals (primarily game art) and even though I pass myself off as a programmer, creating art assets hasn't really been a big problem for me (I'm just incredibly lazy when it comes to creating asset after asset). Some years ago now I started making games and quickly realised like you, that I would need art for my games. I wasn't satisfied with using other peoples art so I opened up paint and began teaching myself how to create pixel art, worked well for me and over the years I did get somewhat decent at it (at least past the "programmer art" category) so I suggest you start there, if your pixel pushing gets a little more serious and paint is no longer sufficient, id recommend GraphicsGale (free version is good enough).
I also do some 3D work in my spare time while I day dream about one day creating that game I've always wanted to make but unfortunately don't have the skills/experience to create yet (however, I shall persevere). Blender3D seems to be the go to free solution for that, I however have a student license for 3Ds Max and Maya.

EDIT: Oh and yeah, I wouldn't recommend Photoshop for Pixel art, its overkill and can be somewhat difficult on a per pixel level (it wasnt designed for it).. Though if its texturing your doing, go for it! PaintToolSAI is what I use in that department which is pretty cool too though lacking in some areas outside of painting/drawing.
There are some good tips in the article "Better Programmer Art". smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

I've gotten to where I like GIMP for pixel art and image manipulation and Blender for modeling. I had no idea how much could be done in Blender until I began searching for online tutorials.

Also, don't forget the Help Wanted forum here at GD.net. You describe yourself as a programmer, so perhaps you might consider remaining focused on the code and advertise for an artist.

Also, don't forget the Help Wanted forum here at GD.net.
Just a quick note -- the Help Wanted forum is now closed to new posts in favour of the newly launched "Classifieds" system, which we will be continuing to improve.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would work more on gaining the proper skills to make the art assets you're looking for, and less time on finding a perfect program. Pixel art for example, can be done much easier in Photoshop because of layers, 100% preview while zoomed in with another window, custom brushes, ect... However any talented artist could produce great art in MS Paint.

Considering you have: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, 3DS Max, & Maya, work on learning how to draw, and model as you have top of the line software.
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013
Any time I see this kind of post, where someone starts listing all the quite expensive high-end software they have that they have no idea how to use, a little voice inside my head calls shenanigans...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement