Visual Studio 2003 - Compiling XBOX Source Code "LinksBoks" - (RESOLVED)

Started by
50 comments, last by pulpfist 12 years, 2 months ago
The file VERSION.txt says that it has been made into a library, so the fact that you get a lib file is all nice and dandy, but there is also two more projects in the solution, DefaultHost and EmbeddedSample.

Can you open and build those? (LinksBoksHostApp.sln and EmbeddedSample.sln)

PS.
I can't do this myself as I have VisualStudio 2010 and trying to convert the projects gives me all kinds of errors.
Advertisement
The file VERSION.txt says that it has been made into a library, so the fact that you get a lib file is all nice and dandy, but there is also two more projects in the solution, DefaultHost and EmbeddedSample. Can you open and build those? (LinksBoksHostApp.sln and EmbeddedSample.sln) PS. I can't do this myself as I have VisualStudio 2010 and trying to convert the projects gives me all kinds of errors.

ok man, will do, brb. ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
When I try to compile "Default Host" I get the following:

ek10m8.jpg

When I try to compile embedded sample I get:

11qod1f.jpg

According to these two images and good ol PulpFist, I needed to compile the LIB folder first and then these two. (For anyone looking for a solution to this like I was) ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Build the linkboks project first, then the DefaultHost project.

The result of building the DefaultHost project should be the browser file.
After I compiled linksboks, I then tried to compile defaulthost and I got this:

Build: 2 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped

LinksBoksHostApp - 1 error(s), 13 warning(s)

25u2zv8.jpg

I took a look in the RELEASE folder of default host and saw this:

119m96q.jpg

I see an .XBE file. :) I'll give it a test run on the xbox and see what happens...

I also tried to compile embedded sample after compiling linksboks and got:

EmbeddedSample - 1 error(s), 8 warning(s)

Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped

a9wsjr.jpg

I took a look in the EmbeddedSample RELEASE folder and saw:

10ge87q.jpg

I will try this out too and see what pops up as well...

The RELEASE folder for LinksBoks is the same... a LIB file and the OUT folder... :/ But now I understand why! :D

Build the linkboks project first, then the DefaultHost project.

The result of building the DefaultHost project should be the browser file.

Maybe you're right. Let me give it a test run. happy.png Back in a sec.
Looks like your good to go so you can forget about my last post. You got the files man wub.png

Those errors seems to be related to the build system trying to connect and copy the files over to the xbox automagically.

Just try to do it manually...
Looks like your good to go so you can forget about my last post. You got the files man wub.png Those errors seems to be related to the build system trying to connect and copy the files over to the xbox automagically. Just try to do it manually...

HOLY CRAP! It appears you were right Pulp!! It seems to be working! biggrin.png But then... Im confused wacko.png .... What were all those errors and fails about then?? Like that defaulthost saying:

Build: 2 succeeded, 1 failed? 0 skipped

and that embeddedsample one too???

Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed? 0 skipped

although it said failed, it still gave me an XBE file...

EDIT: Well, I understand the errors but, what I dont get are the fails. :P
jajajaja and here this whole time I thought those were "Extras"!! omg! XD
If you look at the build output in that picture you posted you will see this:

Linking...
Generating xbox image...
Copying files to the xbox...
xbecopy: error: Could not connect to the xbox ''

That shows that everything went smooth until it tried to copy the files over to the xbox.
But it's probably not a big deal. Its just a good old file copy that you can do manually, if you know how...

Also, you can read the ReadMe.txt file in the DefaultHost folder. It basically says that DefaultHostApp.xbe is the good old browser.

Basically what has happened is that the linkboks project has been changed into a library instead of an executable program.
A library contains executable code but it doesn't have a entry point so it can not be executed in itself, it has to be linked to a project that has an entry point. And that is the purpose of the DefaultHost project. It links in the linksboks browser and it also has a entry point so it can be executed as a program.

That's not exactly a technical paper but you get the picture. The reason to make the browser into a library is to make it more reusable, in other words, it can be linked into any project of your choosing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement