• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mattmeyer44129

[WEB DESIGN] data usage and bandwidth

This topic is 2495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quick question, If I link to a youtube video via an iframe who takes the brunt of the bandwidth needed and data used? I would think youtube would since my page is just loading the frame but Im not sure. Thanks.

Advertisement

100% Youtube.

>99% YouTube... this is a nitpick, and I'm sure the OP already understood properly, but just to clarify for anyone else reading this...

The video file will be requested from YouTube, and as such the bandwidth/data usage will be entirely handled by them. Your own server will however still be transferring the page itself, however large that is -- if it's just a simple page which loads one or more videos it should be pretty tiny.

It should also be noted that it's generally good practice to try to keep the number of requests the browser will have to make to a minimum when designing pages; obviously if you need to load a certain piece of content you're going to have to make the request, but keep in mind that more requests makes for a longer load-time, and depending on the source -- YouTube generally shouldn't be a problem, but other sites might be -- might even stall loading of your page whilst an external server is contacted and replies with the data you need.

Hope that's helpful!

smile.png

Why via an iframe? See here.

Because it is still the quickest solution? If I click on embed below a youtube video it gives me an iframe snippet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!