Has anyone used Ecere?

Started by
10 comments, last by blurmonk 12 years, 2 months ago
eC has some generic type support. it can't do everything C++ and D can do, but it's done at loading-time as opposed to compile time.

A pre-built binary installer for Mac would be nice. So would an up to date Windows one!
Sadly, open source projects often have more limited resources than multi-million corporations.

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Since when do opinions belong in marketing materials?" -- The page you were looking at was a FAQ more than marketing. The SDK is free, I can't afford a marketing team.

[/font]

Stemming from ignorance? I don't think so. JIT requires extra time for the initial compilation, loading up bunch of stuff, etc.
'Close enough' is just not good enough for me. My philosophy is why should the code run anything more than what you're trying to do?
I saw your article on your blog where you lament about how slow today's software is on today's machine compared to older software on older machines.
It's precisely because of the industry's trends into 'Close enoughs', VM, managed code, and all the like. I guess all that is part of programmers' laziness :)

STL-like algorithms? eC has got some nice containers with link lists and self-balanced binary trees and such.

Lambdas -- Will have to get those some day :) but it's not easy to implement in a C based language.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

",,,have worked their way into pretty much every modern language. Except yours. Why is this? " -- Simply because that wasn't where the focus was.

[/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

But the Ecere SDK remains a great SDK to build small GUI and graphics apps.

[/font]

Advertisement

But the Ecere SDK remains a great SDK to build small GUI and graphics apps.

That's an interesting niche. Albeit one where you have to compete with a lot of big players (.NET, Cocoa, QT, the very neat Kivy), and one where native performance is not necessarily a killer feature.

The problem I find, is that when I go hunting for a language to write a GUI application in, I don't really want to have to use a different language to write my web server. This is really one of the key strengths of ecosystems like Python and C#: writing GUI desktop apps is a breeze, but they are equally well geared towards server development, scientific computing, etc.

I'm not really bashing your language here - its nice enough, in so far as it goes. But my impression is that languages tend to survive in the long run either through differentiating features (i.e. Erlang), or through ubiquity (i.e. C, Java). You clearly haven't achieved ubiquity, and you don't really have any differentiating features either...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Hey guys

Thanks for the healthy discussion, very informative! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement