Is astar the most appropriate for pathfinding

Started by
3 comments, last by amile duan 12 years, 1 month ago
I can just use flow fields, and the object can also reach its destination plus having the capability to avoid other objects.
What do you think?
Thanks
Jack
Advertisement
A* is just one of many algorithms and methods than can achieve pathfinding. It depends on what you're really trying to achieve. Do you care about processing speed? How well it works? etc.
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
It depends on how busy your levels are. If you are making a flight simulator, avoiding other aircraft can easily be done with steering behaviors. If your level looks more like a maze, you'll probably need a graph search algorithm like A*.
I can draw you all sorts of situations where flow fields break down. The most common one being a "C-shaped" obstacle of some sort. How do you devise a flow field that allows for reaching goals both in the "C" and on the back side of the "C"? You are either going to have a flow that allows movement to the interior of the "C" or you are going to force things to flow around it as if it was an "O" instead.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

It really depends on what you're really trying to achieve.
Avoiding other aircraft can easily be done with steering behaviors.rolleyes.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement