Convert floating point operation to integer

Started by
3 comments, last by Antheus 12 years, 2 months ago
Hello,

I have a forumlae, "((a / b) * (max - min)) + min", that needs to be converted to integer math rather than floating point. max and min are unsigned integers, and (a / b) results in a float (b is always greater than a, so a/b always ranges from 0.0 to 1.0).

How would I go about calculating the same result without using floating point math? I am sure the solution is simple, but I am at a total loss for how to do this.

Advertisement
In integer math dealing with fractions of one, it is always best to do the multiplication first, then followed by the division, i.e. a * (max - min) / b + min. Also, depending on the logicyou are after, be wary of one-off errors that can occur, i.e. evaluate whether you would instead like to have a * (max - min + 1) / b + min.

In integer math dealing with fractions of one, it is always best to do the multiplication first, then followed by the division, i.e. a * (max - min) / b + min. Also, depending on the logicyou are after, be wary of one-off errors that can occur, i.e. evaluate whether you would instead like to have a * (max - min + 1) / b + min.

if you multiply min at the end with b and then divide the whole equation you will end up with all products and addition operators being done in integer math, and the division by b will then give you the resulting float value.
You should see this as a maths equation nd then just apply the normal rules for addition and division, b*min/b = min. With that last addition you will postpone the eventual move into a float untill the very end and should still give you the same result.

Resulting equation:
(a * (max - min) + min * b) / b

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Hehe, I knew it was something simple. Thanks guys, I appreciate it :).
Nobody seems to have mentioned integer overflow. Make sure to check for that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement