Inventing on Principle - amazing video!

Started by
65 comments, last by ddn3 12 years, 1 month ago
I think a large point he makes that's overshadowed with his demo is how little progress has been made toward making a language that's more inline with current UI developments than text editing. I think a more visual language could be pretty interesting. To my knowledge there aren't any (good) low level visual programming languages yet?

I do think that his code editing visualizer could break down in more complex cases. It's pretty simple to handle functions more in line with functional programming, but I feel like it would either be unusably slow or just broken in more complex cases when there is a little more dependency on external data.
Advertisement
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for sharing!
I'm confused. The time thing was cool but wasn't he just using a scripting language?

"I can change variables and code at run-time without compiling."

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

I'm confused. The time thing was cool but wasn't he just using a scripting language? "I can change variables and code at run-time without compiling."

You try doing that with a scripting language. Go on, fire up Python/C#/JavaScript, and try to do what he's showing there.

There's nothing inherent to the language to what he's demonstrating. In fact, you can do everything he's doing there with a compiled language too (i.e. look at XCode's "Fix and Continue").

But what you do need is tool support. Tools that understand the semantics of your program, not merely the syntax. Tools that understand that you are building an animation, and thus can provide timing and prediction support like his does.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I doubt one could write bug free code, bugs in a round about way are our limitions. A human being is only so smart we can only hold so many variables in our heads and map out so many states. My coding method is research, gather up examples of existing code, deconstruct the problem, construct a solution.. but more importantly I try to construct a short solutions. All said and done, smaller code is easier to maintain and debug, and i'm not talking about those trying to remove all variable names and spaces, small concise algorithms.

-ddn

I doubt one could write bug free code, bugs in a round about way are our limitions. A human being is only so smart we can only hold so many variables in our heads and map out so many states. My coding method is research, gather up examples of existing code, deconstruct the problem, construct a solution.. but more importantly I try to construct a short solutions. All said and done, smaller code is easier to maintain and debug, and i'm not talking about those trying to remove all variable names and spaces, small concise algorithms.

-ddn

functional programming is your bff?
What an absolute boss. I love his principle, I hope too see a wide range of tools going mainstream with this in the near future. Making tools based on this principle can be damn hard and/or time consuming though and might not always be worth it.

functional programming is your bff?

No I never got into functional programming, my brain doesn't work that way and it's actually harder to understand, for me anyways. I'm sure if your mathematically inclined, functional programming would come naturally but I'm not.. Closest I get to FP is some stuff i do in Lua..

-ddn

No I never got into functional programming, my brain doesn't work that way and it's actually harder to understand, for me anyways. I'm sure if your mathematically inclined, functional programming would come naturally but I'm not.. Closest I get to FP is some stuff i do in Lua.

Functional programming doesn't have to mean LISP. If you've ever used the STL algorithms, a foreach loop, or a lambda function, you are using functional programming techniques.

And the STL algorithms are a great example of just how much trouble can be saved by applying functional techniques to a problem, even in a language that is generally not all that functionally-inclined.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='ddn3' timestamp='1329775272' post='4914971']
No I never got into functional programming, my brain doesn't work that way and it's actually harder to understand, for me anyways. I'm sure if your mathematically inclined, functional programming would come naturally but I'm not.. Closest I get to FP is some stuff i do in Lua.

Functional programming doesn't have to mean LISP. If you've ever used the STL algorithms, a foreach loop, or a lambda function, you are using functional programming techniques.[/quote]

That's one of the things I love about javascript and especially jQuery. It's teaching people functional programming techniques without them really knowing it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement