IQM Animation Blending

Started by
1 comment, last by jsvcycling 12 years, 2 months ago
So I've been looking into the Inter-Quake Model (IQM) file format from http://lee.fov120.com/iqm/. It looks like a very interesting file format and I want to use it in my game. I picked up the SDK and all, but there's just one thing holding me back right now. I want to know if its possible to blend two animations together. I was looking into this for the MD5 file format a while ago, but that was for a different game and I don't really want to use it for this one (I prefer to use binary files now). But I know that it supports animation interpolation.

So my question is, does the IQM file format support animation blending/interpolation? I know I can just create animation sequences but like say I was making a flight simulator and wanted the to be able to lower the gears while using the rudder, ailerons, and elevators? Would I have to create an animation for each multitask action?

Btw, I already know about joint linking (I used that in with MD5), but I don't want to do that with IQM cause it will require multiple *.iqm files for a single in-game model (or did I miss read something somewhere?).

Oh, and if you know of a better file format than IQM I'd love to hear about it (I know I can just create my own, but that takes time). I really only have a few requirements: (1) Needs to be a binary file (2) Needs to support animation blending/interpolation (3) Needs to as lightweight as possible (e.g. no COLLADA metadata-like stuff).

EDIT: This is an OpenGL tagged topic because I will be using OpenGL as my rendering engine, so if the file format requires DirectX specific stuff (which would be a pretty big design flaw) it's gonna be a no-go. Also, file formats with some type of SDK or samples (e.g. loader, sample game) would be even better (though I will still consider file formats without these additions)!

Thanks,
Josh
Some favourite quotes:Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
- Steve Wozniak

The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written.
- Bill Gates

There's always one more bug.
- Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology

Think? Why think! We have computers to do that for us.
- Jean Rostand

Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
- Clifford Stoll

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
- Robert Orben

Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living.
- Nicholas Negroponte
Advertisement
Look at the sample code that comes with the devkit - it contains everything you need for this. Summary is: yes, you can blend animations, and yes, you can do it with OpenGL (it's just code, API is irrelevant here).

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Look at the sample code that comes with the devkit - it contains everything you need for this. Summary is: yes, you can blend animations, and yes, you can do it with OpenGL (it's just code, API is irrelevant here).

Ok, cool thanks!
Some favourite quotes:Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
- Steve Wozniak

The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written.
- Bill Gates

There's always one more bug.
- Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology

Think? Why think! We have computers to do that for us.
- Jean Rostand

Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
- Clifford Stoll

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
- Robert Orben

Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living.
- Nicholas Negroponte

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement