Sign in to follow this  
Aressera

Equal-area partition of unit sphere

Aressera    2919
I'm working on an application that needs to compute a histogram over the surface of a sphere. In order to do this I have to partition the surface of the sphere into pieces that are equal area (or fairly close). The shape of a piece does not matter as long as it covers the same area. I also need to be able to parameterize the partitioning scheme so that I can iterate over the pieces in an efficient manner without having to store their bounds.

I've tried looking into equal area cylindrical projections but I can't seem to get anything to work correctly. Polar distortion is not a problem, so any sort of cylindrical projection could work. I just need to parameterize the latitude generation it so that the area of each rectangular/triangular piece is more or less equal.

Does anyone have a tips for solving this issue?

P.S. the end goal is to use each piece of the sphere to generate a certain number of rays (depending on the histogram) that start at the sphere's center and pass through the bounds of that piece.

Aressera    2919
[quote name='alvaro' timestamp='1329464562' post='4913830']
An easy way to do this would be to divide the sphere into slices of equal width, and then each slice into an equal number of sectors.
[/quote]

Thanks, that seems to work well enough and is a lot simpler than what I was trying to do.