Where is the best starting point?

Started by
3 comments, last by epreisz 12 years, 2 months ago
I've read up a little on game development. OK, Not really. I've spent about 3 months trying google searches, and I can't seem to find a good starting point.

I want to develop games, yes. However, is the best starting spot with C++, UDK, and Max3ds? I've read somewhere that the best starting spot is with text based games. At this point I'm confused what the best spot will be. BTW, I am still learning C++.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. =D
Advertisement
It depends on what you want to do. Basically, jobs at game companies fall into four categories: 1) Design, 2) Programming 3) Art 4) Production/project management. Do you know what area you would like to go into?

It depends on what you want to do. Basically, jobs at game companies fall into four categories: 1) Design, 2) Programming 3) Art 4) Production/project management. Do you know what area you would like to go into?

Either design or programming definitely
Then you won't need a 3D app unless you want to make art by yourself for your own games or something.

If you ever read something on this site about starting with programming you should know C++ is a bad choice. Yes C++ is the most powerful language but it is also very unforgiving. With a higher level language like C# you are able to pick things up a lot faster, make more games in less time AND understand the C syntax so if you ever want to make a step to C++ it will be much easier. I can't speak out of experience but i believe it's faster to master C++, and a lot more fun, to make some games first with C# and an api like XNA and then switch to C++.

UDK is a nice engine, you can script in it and even inject code into it to create completely new games it's not considered a language. Experience with it might help you to find a job eventually but knowing how to code ways a lot more. But you can use UDK to make awesome games or prototype your ideas, it's a very powerful and user friendly engine. But i'd say, if you want to start coding games, pickup C#, learn the basics till you feel comfortable with the language. Then install XNA game studio from microsoft which is a library with all the functions you need to code some awesome games.

Good luck!
If you want to be a designer & programmer, I'd find an engine with a community you like and learn their scripting language. For Unity, you'll most likely use C#, for UDK, it's Unreal Script. I work for GarageGames and we set up a tutorial for an absolute beginner at http://www.garagegames.com/fps. I wouldn't get too caught up on any single technology per se, It will take you many years to get good at making games so the most important thing is sticking with it and never giving up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement