main menu screen

Started by
2 comments, last by jbadams 12 years, 1 month ago
i made a main menu screen for my game:

http://coolfone.comze.com/fight/mainmenu/mainmenupng.png

feedback?
Advertisement
You could separate the menu buttons a bit somehow (lets say highlight the area around them? Highlight could fade away or something so no borders needed) aand maybe something to replace all the blackness?

o3o

It looks bland in my opinion. There is definitely nothing wrong with simplicity but this... seems a little too simple. Is this what you were going for?

I look at that and don't desire to play the game. It looks like you found a picture, slapped it on for the background, created a rectangle and typed some text and was done. It doesn't look like much thought was taken into the actual appeal of a menu screen.
Is "Power Fighter" the name of the game? To me, looking at that screenshot it looks like an option in the menu that is currently selected. I'd either separate it out with a divider of some sort, or move it out into it's own box. You might also consider giving it a different font.

Do the options highlight when selected (mouse-over or keyboard select)? They should. If they already do, could you show us how you do that?

The background image doesn't seem like an ideal choice to me -- I think the character is kicking, but I'm not 100% sure -- perhaps you could give her a target to make it more obvious. If you're going to use an image from in the game you would want to choose one that first-time players will look at and think "wow, I want to do that!" or "I want to see that part of the game!".

Alternatively, instead of an action pose you could do something more artistic that hints at some basic character back-story -- you could show the character meditating under a cherry-blossom for example.

Have you tried putting the character in the background in front of some sort of backdrop rather than just blackness? You probably don't want anything to "busy", but the black strikes me as a little boring -- unless you choose to put something more interesting in front of it!

Hope that's helpful! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement