Sign in to follow this  
lovrenco

RocketHub or KickStarter?

lovrenco    100
hi people!

My small game studio is about to publish it's first game (in few months) and me and my couleges are wondering which fundraising community to use. Does anyone have any expirience (positive or negative)?Should we use both and make smaller campaign goal's or pick one???

client    102
I think, premium accounts are the best idea. Not everyone has account in bank, but a lot of people uses a mobile phones.

If I got what means "[i]fundraising community[/i]".

Tom Sloper    16040
[quote name='BSt' timestamp='1329619835' post='4914407']
I think, premium accounts are the best idea. Not everyone has account in bank, but a lot of people uses a mobile phones.

[/quote]

No. You misunderstand. He's not talking about monetizing a finished product - he's talking about raising funds to develop or publish or market a game,or to start a company.

client    102
[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1329621298' post='4914415']
[quote name='BSt' timestamp='1329619835' post='4914407']

[/quote]

No. You misunderstand. He's not talking about monetizing a finished product - he's talking about raising funds to develop or publish or market a game,or to start a company.
[/quote]

So, I am right.
They can create a "premium zone" for sells tutorials, "small things", access for something etc.
Also, advertisements, but the "premium zone" is the best idea, I think.

frob    44907
[quote name='BSt' timestamp='1329621871' post='4914422']
So, I am right.
They can create a "premium zone" for sells tutorials, "small things", access for something etc.
Also, advertisements, but the "premium zone" is the best idea, I think.
[/quote]
Based on your profile information and posting history it looks like English is probably not your best language. Hopefully this will help:

He does not have a product that can be sold yet.

He needs money before he can begin.

He cannot sell anything yet because it does not exist.

There is no way to sell access advertisements, or to put any products or a 'premium zone', because those things cannot exist until much later. This must be done first.

Exactly how he gets that money is up to a business plan. A solid business plan is a prerequisite before getting funding through any reputable fundraising agency.

Tom Sloper    16040
[quote name='BSt' timestamp='1329650354' post='4914479']
You don't have to write about my English
[/quote]

In this case, it was justified. You were clearly misunderstanding the OP's question (even after an explanation). Let's keep this conversation focused on the OP's question, not language.

kdog77    229
OP: I think this is a business decision that you need to make after evaluating similar projects on both sites and following their success rate (or lack thereof). Kickstarter had a big hit with the Double Find campaign, but the bigger question is why do you need funds if you are close to publishing on your own? Do you have a specific plan on how to use the funds or is this just to create buzz?

turch    590
[quote name='kdog77' timestamp='1329805710' post='4915097']
OP: I think this is a business decision that you need to make after evaluating similar projects on both sites and following their success rate (or lack thereof). Kickstarter had a big hit with the Double Find campaign, but the bigger question is why do you need funds if you are close to publishing on your own? Do you have a specific plan on how to use the funds or is this just to create buzz?
[/quote]

There are plenty of overhead costs besides development. Advertising, lawyers and accountants.

I think Kickstarter would be a better bet if you're only going with one, but that's only because it seems to be more popular than RocketHub - even before the recent Double Fine stuff.

Ravyne    14300
Kickstarter because its more popular.

Have a listen to [url="http://mygiantpodcast.com/running-a-successful-kickstarter-campaign/"]this podcast[/url] if you haven't already. They interview two small, indie developers who have run successful kickstarter campaigns in support of their games.

GninjaGnome    184
I believe these fundraising communities really are what you make them. I've had a project on kickstarter for about two days now. So far the majority of the funds have come from people that know us or we have talked to personally. Kickstarter doesn't do any kind of marketing campaign or anything, they just give you the tools to do it yourself.

Right now, our team really only has the means to push the project locally. We are handing out flyers at local magazines and newspapers, school and work, anyplace we can think of really. I'm not sure how it's gonna turn out, but your welcome to follow our progress. Perhaps it will help you design a good business plan, or, in a worst case, know one more way that doesn't work:)

Good luck with your fundraiser

ps. links to the project are in my sig.

Anthony Samuel    100
I'm doing the same thing as you, with kickstarter, We are making an MMORPG here's ours: [url="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticgamingstudios/chaotic-ways-are-you-chaotic-or-seren"]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticgamingstudios/chaotic-ways-are-you-chaotic-or-seren[/url] we were known in our community, We are not a very wealthy one, But we are managing with no money so far, But like the other people said, Can't get paid for anything just yet,besides kickstarter! kickstarter would be the way to go in my opinion. just make sure you share it with your facebook/Community, I'm trying to get a hold of our mayor and news.