Isometric Sprites

Started by
6 comments, last by Zacherien 12 years ago
Hello,
Well, I haven't messed with sprites for a year or two, Here I will post my progress of Human and Animal sprites and I'll be looking for some feedback, anything from comments, to advise would be much appreciated. Not much to say besides here it is:

Human

Outline Attempt # 1:

[attachment=7354:sprite test.png]

Outline Attempt # 2:
?Reduced stomach size

[attachment=7356:sprite test 2.png]

Outline Attempt # 3:
friend suggested I add a belly

[attachment=7357:sprite test 3.png]

"Skinned" using outline 3:

[attachment=7359:colord sprite 2.png]

Updated Outline:

[attachment=7360:sprite test 5.PNG]

"Skinned" New outline

[attachment=7362:coloured sprite (f and b) 2.PNG]

"Skinned l and r" new outline:

[attachment=7363:coloured sprite (f b l and r) updated.png]

"skinned" iso l and r new outline:

[attachment=7364:coloured sprite (f b l r ur and ul).png]

"skinned" iso l and r new outline + recolor:

[attachment=7365:coloured sprite (f b l r ur and ul) updated and better.png]

"skinned" iso new outline:

[attachment=7367:coloured sprite all.png]

"skinned" iso new outline small neck edit:

[attachment=7368:coloured sprite all 2.png]
Advertisement
For an isometric view I would sugguest to render your sprites from a model package like blender or DAZ. Atleast it helps alot to get the perspective right, even when painting over the rendered versions.
Yeah model, texture and rig your sprite and shoot stills from it at a orthogonal isometric angle and that would save a lot of work. Imagine creating every frame for each character from 8 different angles. It's a lot of work.
eh, I'm going to pixel all of them by scratch, I had planned to do so from the start and I'm not a big fan of the "model" method. Any opinions on what I do have rather then opinions on my methods?
Could you post versions of 400% zoomed in so we can comment on it better without opening them in a app.

Try to avoid pillow shading but pick a light source.
Here is a zoomed version

[attachment=7446:zoomed.png]
The arms look a bit long since in side view they are almost behind the character in the front view they are drawn as long as his boxer short, so they are a look a lot longer. Since you want isometric sprites i think the head should be pushed one pixel down because of the angle. The pillow shading does not look very professional. For some more pro tips go to pixelation.com, there are some really good pixel artists there that can give you quality advice.
Eyes shouldn't be level on an isometric viewpoint. Maybe have the one closer to the camera a pixel down or something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement