continuity in games?

Started by
13 comments, last by MRECKS 11 years, 10 months ago

Hello Gamedev, i am currently in the brainstorming phase of several different video games. I am currently
playing with the idea of making all of these games persist within the same "universe".
Given all my current ideas do not fall into the same genre of game, but i feel as though its possible to make
them all fit together like a puzzle somehow.
Is this an idea worth pursuing? Everyone i have asked so far seems to enjoy the idea, but i was hoping i could
get a more professional and peer driven opinion.

Sorry about trying to resurrect this topic, but i was away for school and was hoping i could further emphasize my idea.

Lets say game A is an Action adventure game with a character who wields a particular sword After the events of his/her game, he/she dies and is forgotten by history.
Game B(on the other hand) is a fighting game, where a character has unearthed The sword from Game A and uses it in Game B.
Advertisement

[quote name='MRECKS' timestamp='1329789574' post='4915028']
Hello Gamedev, i am currently in the brainstorming phase of several different video games. I am currently
playing with the idea of making all of these games persist within the same "universe".
Given all my current ideas do not fall into the same genre of game, but i feel as though its possible to make
them all fit together like a puzzle somehow.
Is this an idea worth pursuing? Everyone i have asked so far seems to enjoy the idea, but i was hoping i could
get a more professional and peer driven opinion.

Sorry about trying to resurrect this topic, but i was away for school and was hoping i could further emphasize my idea.

Lets say game A is an Action adventure game with a character who wields a particular sword After the events of his/her game, he/she dies and is forgotten by history.
Game B(on the other hand) is a fighting game, where a character has unearthed The sword from Game A and uses it in Game B.
[/quote]

Do you mean like a series? Isn't that what Bioware did with Mass Effect series? One ending led to the different beginning in the next game, and so on because the later series were able to read the save file of the previous series and begin the story like that (and for people who do not have previous series' save file, they had the default data)

But the only difference now is that meanwhile the first game was FPS, second game is Fighting game. Then the third game becomes RTS, and so on.

Do you mean like a series? Isn't that what Bioware did with Mass Effect series? One ending led to the different beginning in the next game, and so on because the later series were able to read the save file of the previous series and begin the story like that (and for people who do not have previous series' save file, they had the default data)

But the only difference now is that meanwhile the first game was FPS, second game is Fighting game. Then the third game becomes RTS, and so on.

That it a very good way of explaining it. To explain it in a nutshell would be to say that the lore would be continued and expanded upon.
The events and figures of game A may be ancient history to people from game B, or perhaps game C happened because the choices (or lack there of)
of the individuals from game A.
It seems that a flowchart would be a good way to organize this information and begin to develop the ideas you have.

Starting at the beginning, actually go through the key decision points you have built up in your head. My advice would be not to even worry about this being a game series and instead, focus on the story itself. Once the key decisions have been plotted out, you can begin to chart out the other decisions that lead up to the big ones.

It seems that a flowchart would be a good way to organize this information and begin to develop the ideas you have.

Starting at the beginning, actually go through the key decision points you have built up in your head. My advice would be not to even worry about this being a game series and instead, focus on the story itself. Once the key decisions have been plotted out, you can begin to chart out the other decisions that lead up to the big ones.

...I feel so silly for not thinking of this earlier. That would make everything so much easier.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement