Best method to place scars/injuries arbitrarily on a body?

Started by
1 comment, last by そら 12 years, 2 months ago
Hi,

I have a texture, which represents an injury with blood and all.

how would it be the best way to place it on the body of a character which has just being shot (and in the place it has been shot)?

Something like this:

PlaceableTextures2.png
maybe using decals, which would imply to move the decal's vertexes adapting to the geometry of the place were the character was shot.. and I wouldn't be able to use transparency (maybe the raincoat of the character or something?).

or in the PixelShader... passing as argument the position where the shot hit; and if it is within a certain threshold just use some math to get the corresponding UV for that specific texture?...

but I would like to ask you how would you think it would be the best way to implement something like this?

Thanks!
"lots of shoulddas, coulddas, woulddas in the air, thinking about things they shouldda couldda wouldda donne, however all those shoulddas coulddas woulddas ran away when they saw the little did to come"
Advertisement
Hi,

You might want to read how Valve did wounds in Left 4 Dead 2 for inspiration.

http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Vlachos-GDC10-Left4Dead2Wounds.pdf

Victor
Hi Victor,

Wow!.. thanks for the reference!.. that's very enlightening!

I'll check it out.
"lots of shoulddas, coulddas, woulddas in the air, thinking about things they shouldda couldda wouldda donne, however all those shoulddas coulddas woulddas ran away when they saw the little did to come"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement