Creating a frightening enviroment within a co-op shooter

Started by
14 comments, last by sirkibble2 12 years, 2 months ago

I guess my brain doesn't work the way other peoples do, in your scenario. I wouldn't be frightened to then see something terrible, I would be like "well that explains it". I guess that situation doesn't really instill fear in me. I was in New Orleans after Katrina (3 days later, to take photographs of commercial property that was damaged), there were still bodies floating in the street and plenty of atmosphere others described as creepy, to me, it was exactly what I expected, there weren't any abnormal feelings about it. That said I'm not unscareable, even some movies come to mind that genuinely scared me (not jump scares either), but it was more a situation of utter and complete helplessness that makes me feel fright than anything else.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here. I'm not talking about an aftermath like Katrina. That's sad or gross, not scary. I'm talking about "Something was eating people here one minute ago, is probably still nearby, and may try to eat me. I don't know where it is."
Advertisement
Most suggestions so far are plot-related and based on the premise of counteracting the inherent comfort of having the support of a team by making the game more similar to a single player one: ignorance and distrust between partners, forced splitting of the party, betrayal.
There is, however, a specific way in which a cooperative game can be more frightening, or at least more worrying, than a single player one: fear of being hurt by teammates.

• An idiot opens the wrong door at the wrong time.
  • Someone greedy steals weapons etc. you need.
  • You could be stealthy if you were alone, but there isn't enough cover for two.
  • Plenty of grenades and, generally, other splash damage and hard to aim indirect attacks. Are you safe from eager or fumbling friends?
  • Traps, triggered by one and affecting the whole group.
  • Is your stranded or lagging companion worth rescuing or waiting for? Climbing out of a pit can take enough to be reached by monsters.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Most suggestions so far are plot-related and based on the premise of counteracting the inherent comfort of having the support of a team by making the game more similar to a single player one: ignorance and distrust between partners, forced splitting of the party, betrayal.
There is, however, a specific way in which a cooperative game can be more frightening, or at least more worrying, than a single player one: fear of being hurt by teammates.

• You could be stealthy if you were alone, but there isn't enough cover for two.
  • Plenty of grenades and, generally, other splash damage and hard to aim indirect attacks. Are you safe from eager or fumbling friends?
  • Is your stranded or lagging companion worth rescuing or waiting for? Climbing out of a pit can take enough to be reached by monsters.

^This. Everything about it, that's what I was trying to get to but LorenzoGatti articulated it much better than myself.
For me a scary coop would be where you and you're team mates are sometimes separated , what i mean by that is like say you are running along , the guy infront doesnt know it yet but the floor is going to give way , he falls down the hole then the hole would refix it self in some way , not sure how but you have to prevent the others from going down there, then the guy below has to find another path alone and meet up with the others latter, while all this is going on you can hear him on the mic struggling to kill what ever is down there, and you have no way of getting to him , things like that would make coop really good.
:)

I agree that these are good angles to look at. However it doesn't necessarily mean the tone will be frightening. I can just picture the chat during gameplay: "Don't open that... oh you dick! Why the hell did you do that? Okay, everybody shoot. Retreat. Regroup. Damn, that Jenkins is so stupid *fill in joke*". Just like something going wrong in a WoW raid. More frustration and joking and re-working tactics than fear.
As I was reading this, I realized that L4D did something good in the example of having lots of enemies that do different things. It's obvious but that is very scary especially when the structures are narrow. I'm not saying you need 10 or 20 enemies bum rushing you but it's something to think about--the amount of enemies can be scary without ammo and separated friends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement