Need references for orbiting camera movement

Started by
6 comments, last by turch 12 years, 1 month ago
Hi,
I am trying to make a camera animation.
The prototype which I made using unity3d works ok but I need to watch some professional quality solutions.

I need to orbit the camera around the avatar when it is killed, in a circular orbit for some time.

eg. I need to know does the obstacles on the way become translucent.
Or does the camera avoids obstacles and move towards target etc.

I know Project IGI game has this kind of animation.
If you know any other references please reply.

Sorry that I don't play games too often.
Advertisement
There are 3 separate parts to this:

1. Orbiting camera movement: this is usually done by translating the camera in the z axis and then rotating it.

2. Collision detection: you can stretch a shape from the player to the camera to detect when something gets between the camera and player.

3. Collision resolution: You can have the camera zoom a little each frame towards the player until the collision is gone, or apply some graphic effect to the objects such as transparency.
I made this for C#/XNA and posted it as the first (and only) snippet on my old website. It's well documented and should help you out on making your own in unity.

http://pastebin.com/McTDG7km
Thank you. Since I had made a working solution, what I really need is some references. Do you know any game which does this?
What do you mean by reference then? Copy/paste my code in a XNA project and put a model in the content folder of the project and you have a working orbital camera that takes gimbal lock into account. So if thats not a reference i'm not sure what it....

Pretty much each 3th person game has a camera system that you are looking for.
I hoped you would point me to some video trailers.
Pretty much any mmorpg like world of warcrfat has a orbiting 3th person camera.
Many 3d rpg's in general: neverwinter nights, bethesda games (skyrim, fallout 3).
Also assassins creed, the splinter cell games, gears of war, even the total war games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement