Extremely Simple AI Question

Started by
1 comment, last by Nuclear Taco 12 years, 2 months ago
I'm attempting to make a simple cube follow the player, but I haven't had much experience with the math part of this. If it matters I am using blitz3d, mainly for its extremely fast and easy development time. My partner and I have a few ideas on how this might work, just not how to implement them. We were thinking that
[y - y[sub]1 [/sub]= m(x - x[sub]1[/sub])] Or something using the Pythagorean theorem. But after trying different things for a few times, and failing all of them we decided to ask for help.

Also, we are working with a (x,z) plane.
Advertisement
If you want the cube to be a constant distance from the player and to follow him/her wherever he/she goes, you can use a constraint. The paper Advanced Character Physics has a section here that talks about solving constraints by relaxation. You could apply the same concept here to restrict the cube to be a certain distance from the player, and it would naturally follow the player. I've used this method in a number of things and I've been happy with its results (I replied to another post and wrote some code that demonstrates this behavior which you can see here).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

-snip-

Ahh that actually makes sense. Now tomorrow I'll just have to convert it to BASIC stynax which won't be a problem. Then I'll just modify the code to suit my needs. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement