Best Tool/ Game Engine for developing android games?

Started by
7 comments, last by frob 11 years, 3 months ago
What is the best tool/ game engine for developing android games?

Is it a good option to develop android games to make money?
Advertisement
The forum FAQ has a short list of engines. I'm not aware of any good free engines yet. if you find any let me know and i'll add them.

You can make money developing for Android, yes. A good app in a common niche that is the best in class can earn hundreds dollars, even a few thosand dollars. A really good app in a popular niche can earn much more.

You can also not make any money if your app is poor quality, or in a saturated niche, or a niche with no potential customers. That is up to some intellegent market research and is a business decision.

Is it a good option to develop android games to make money?

If you are good enough and make enough of them, just remember that you are extremely unlikely to become rich by making games regardless of platform and you will have to work very hard or be extremely lucky to make enough money to be able to live off your work, It is a global market aswell so you do have to compete with skilled developers from developing countries who can afford to spend alot more time on their apps for a smaller return.

Its also a good idea to use a multi platform engine (or write large portions of the game using native code) to make porting to iOS easier as it lets you cover a larger part of the market. (WP7 probably isn't worth it at the moment unless you allready have a highly successful app due to its small marketshare but its worth keeping your eye on it to see if it takes off)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Please read this article before publishing paid apps in android market..
http://retrodreamer.com/blog/2012/03/why-dont-we-have-paid-versions-on-the-android-market/
I personally liked AndEngine when I tried it out; although, it is more of a graphics framework as I recall. I don't think it did sound, or physics for you. It is only 2D, and it is all Java, but fairly easy to use for a lot of projects.

I also believe Irrlicht has a working Android port if you want to do 3d and C++. The jPCT 3d engine is also available for Android (although I have never used it and cannot speak to its merits.

I actually found it fairly easy to find Android engines when I looked. I found it much harder to find cross-platform engines that also worked with Android (my current hobby is making my own).
Unity is also a fairly good engine for Android, iOS and the Web, (Having web support in the same engine is a pretty good thing as it lets you put your free promo version out on various webgame portals aswell which helps increase exposure (and you can never get too much exposure)). (I grabbed a free iOS and Android license last week during their promotion, unfortunatly they cost $400 each now ($400 for Android and $400 for iOS (for the free version of Unity), or $1500 per platform for the pro version)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Hey guys,

Just FYI - BatteryTech Engine 2.0 was just released and is a good option for Android/iOS. Free to try on PC/Mac too. http://www.batterytechsdk.com

For making money, I would go for free apps with paid bonus content or other forms of in-app purchasing. A nice example is Sector Strike, a scrolling shooter. You earn money for upgrades in the game, but you can also buy in-game cash. Later on, the game becomes quite challenging and you can expect to play the same level 20 or more times to collect enough cash for a vital upgrade. Unless you're very patient, it becomes very tempting to spend some money!

The original post was almost a year ago. While it is nice that you want to answer the question with updated information, please check the dates on threads before replying to them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement