Tips for ensuring quality in complex code

Started by
12 comments, last by SiCrane 12 years, 1 month ago
If you are certain of the stability of certain routines, #pragma optimize and #pragma runtime_checks will do wonders for speeding up functions that become extremely slow in debug mode.

[EDIT]
I read the topic at work where I could not reply and then replied many hours later at home. I forgot it was C#, and my reply may not be relevant.
[/EDIT]

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement

[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1330013452' post='4915889']
I've gotten to a point in Tangent where debugging is a pain. Worse than a pain. Debugging parser errors is a pain. Debugging 'something in the code generation is not correct' is... it's hellish. I can't even run the debugger on the code at this point since the debugger takes orders of magnitude more time than the optimised build (7m42s vs ~1s for the current issue).

Have you considered writing your own debugger for tangent?
[/quote]

I've not. Since it compiles down into CIL, visual studio actually does a good job of debugging compiled Tangent code with minimal effort on my part.

The issue in the original post is debugging through the C# the compiler is written in. (not sure if that was clear)

One thing I didn't see on your list was using static analysis tools.

Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for the cheapskate? :)
Well I already mentioned Gendarme, which is free. It's not perfect, but it at least warns you about some basic things you might otherwise forget. FxCop and StyleCop are free, but really only good for making sure your code is consistent with existing conventions. Useful for me because .NET naming conventions are still something I haven't gotten instinctively down yet. YMMV.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement