• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xujiezhige

CloneMesh()

This topic is 2479 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I load a mesh from Xfile using CDXUTXfileMesh::Create. Then i clone the mesh using CloneMesh( D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY ).

Which memory pool does the new mesh resides, POOL_MANAGED or POOL_DEFAULT?sad.png

Advertisement
You can specify the memory pool in the first parameter, you can write for example:
CloneMesh(D3DXMESH_MANAGED | D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY, blablabla....)

D3DXMESH_MANAGED means D3DPOOL_MANAGED for vertex and index buffer of the mesh. Like this one, D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY means D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY for both vertex and index bufferof the mesh.

So, you can check DX docs for D3DUSAGE and D3DPOOL. Docs say about D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY: "Buffers created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT that do not specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY might suffer a severe performance penalty."

Thank you, TomKQT and programci_84.

I know how to specify memory pool. But don't know if not specify memory pool, just giving only D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, which memory pool it resides.

I had found the sentence---"Buffers created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT that do not specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY might suffer a severe performance penalty.".
But I don't understand it well, does it mean if specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, the memory pool is D3DPOOL_DEFAULT?

maybe that's it meaning.smile.png

I know how to specify memory pool. But don't know if not specify memory pool, just giving only D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, which memory pool it resides.

You've 2 memory pool parameters for D3DX Mesh functions: D3DXMESH_MANAGED and D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM. If you don't specify one of'em, the function will choose D3DPOOL_DEFAULT for both vertex and index buffer of the mesh. So, if you specify only D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY, buffers will reside default memory pool.

I had found the sentence---"Buffers created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT that do not specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY might suffer a severe performance penalty.".
But I don't understand it well, does it mean if specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, the memory pool is D3DPOOL_DEFAULT?

maybe that's it meaning.smile.png

As far as I understand, the sentence says: "Unless you specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT is a bad choice for memory pool. i.e. D3DPOOL_DEFAULT works well with only D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY".

hth.
-R

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!