• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Crusable77

Books to buy

This topic is 2483 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

My birthday is in about a monty and all im really toing to ask for are Game programming and programming books. Im just wanting to know whitch i dhould ask for. I already know tye basics of c++ up to inheritance and polymorfism and i want to learn some more c++ and also some sdl, c, and inbetween. I also want to learn to make a simple game such as pacman or a platformer. I know im alongbways away from that but whatever.

Thanks for your reasponses and tolerating my horrid spelling : )
Cheers

Advertisement
Most game books rather suck.

Pick up Effective C++. After that... just grab stuff to fill in the blanks as you need them.

If you can read on screen, ask for a subscription to Safari Books online. I haven't bought a PC book since subscribing... its about the same cost as a single book per month ( from Amazon, not a full sticker! ), but gives you access to 15000+ books.

As to NeHe, it's pretty out dated these days. The world of OpenGL programming is completely different now, with the move to a fully programmable pipeline.

+1 for Effective C++, its an amazing book.
I also found 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development really handy, especially when I was starting out.
I personally love books and find them much easier to find information from than the internet, also I hate reading large amounts of text of a sceen so I was really glad to have bought some quality books to begin with and I have easily got my monies worth.

I have the book beginning opengl for game programming, howver it is very confusing. Is there something i need to know before advancing to that such as sdl?

I have a variety of book on all sorts of subjects, and some that have been strongly recommended for future purchases.

For C++ I've used 'Beginning C++ Through Game Programming' and 'C++ A Beginners Guide', the second on which I prefer for covering most of the beginner topics.

Due to my course teaching OpenGL and not Direct3D, I have the 'OpenGL SuperBible (5th Edition) which is good for more modern OpenGL programming, though it uses it's own libraries to get around using the older, deprecated OpenGL features (which you'd eventually need to know how not to use). I also have 'Interactive Computer Graphics' but this is very theory heavy and it lost me. It's up to date though so I'm sure it would be useful. I would say that you don't need to learn SDL or anything before you go onto OpenGL, but that's just me.

Also on the note of OpenGL, keep your eyes on the new 'OpenGL Programming Guide' which is out in a few months. This will surely cover the core of the latest versions of OpenGL.

Aside from general programming and graphics, I have a copy of 'Mathmatics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics' which I've not looked at yet but it's meant to be the best beginners book on the subject. If you're feeling like really getting stuck in, there's also 'Programming AI By Example', which again I've not read, but it's similar to the last book in that it's meant to be the best for beginners.

Those are the books I have, anyways. The way I choose books for my learning is actually going on Amazon, and looking at the reviews.

Hope that helped somewhat.

P.S. I would recommend against the 'Beginning OpenGL for Game Programming' that you already have. I think people recommend it here because it was written, or partly written, by GameDev staff. In this case, that doesn't mean anything.

For C++ :
Effective C++, More Efective C++
Exceptional C++( a little advanced).... you can also read http://herbsutter.com/gotw/ its almost the same as the book or even better
The C++ standard library a reference and tutorial
Design Patterns by gang of four
if you knw almost all stuff from these books then you dnt need to knw anythng else about c++...!!

Also theres C++ for game programmers which brings you the good of both worlds C++ and game programming....highly recommended....!!

I dont about openGL books ...coz m working on DirectX....!!

My birthday is in about a monty and all im really toing to ask for are Game programming and programming books

<3, I remember when it was my birthday a few years ago and my bff went, "what would you like me to get you", my reply was "Visual Studios Ultimate", she was like "ok cool", she was under the impression it was like $50.

Anyway in terms of books, I would always buy them in 3, the main reason is because one will explain something badly or not at all. For C++ I cant really comment, the only book I read was Ivor Hortons, he also did a C book too, excellent books, great to read, sadly I wasnt too fond of C++ and no book would change my view on that, however his C book is great, it is a great book to have as reference.

As for DirectX, you cant really go wrong with the SDK, however when the SDK goes overboard and confuses you the internet is a great place to learn, theres more DX9 resources out there than DX10/11. As for books, theres a few,

http://www.amazon.co...30685010&sr=8-1

This book explains each area of DirectX in detail, the examples however are missing or incomplete, while it excels in explaining it fails hard in showing examples, out of all the 3 books this one had the most graphics 'content', however without other resources you will find yourself raging due to limited examples.

http://www.amazon.co...30685238&sr=8-1

Great book, everything in this book is explained really nicely, in fact so nice I wish every book existing would adopt its style, much better than the Intro to 3D book, however doesnt cover all areas, major areas are missing

http://www.amazon.co...30685010&sr=8-4

Havent read this book, but looking at the contents it does go further into game development and looks like its the only book to cover AI, networks, and a lot of other areas not even mentioned in the other books. It does look like a great book but I havent had time to read it

I would avoid "Beginning DirectX 10" or any book that has that stupid skeleton hand on it, these books are vague, full of crappy examples, and unless you want to do the basic of all basic work (like hello world in 3D) avoid these books, I could list all the things missing from this book but I would be here all day. Saying that if you do want to know the "basics" or are having issues with basic concepts these books are not bad but dont expect to learn more than basic concepts with them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!