• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Butabee

Funding without investor control

This topic is 2481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How realistic would it be to try to get funding to start a company with an engine and game to sell without the investor trying to modify the game?

Advertisement
Close to completely unrealistic. Crowdfunding (eg Kickstarter) might work. It's also a lot easier if the game is already completely written.

Nice, I think I'll try to get funding through that site. Just gotta finish my game first, or at least get it into beta :P

@OP: As Promit already noted above retaining creative control over your game after taking investment depends on who provides the funds. Traditional publishers and VCs generally expect to exert a fair amount of control over development of the game, in addition to marketing it and the final business model. However that being said, it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain traditional funding for just one game concept proposed by an unknown developer with an unnamed (possibly untested) game engine. It just doesn't happen.

Here is a breakdown of VC funding last year by Gamesbeat: http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/06/deanbeat-game-companies-raised-a-record-breaking-1-55b-in-2011/

Most if not all of the big money (excluding IPOs) went to companies run by vet developers who are launching their own platform or a whole smorgasbord of games on mobile and social platforms in order to reach mass audiences over fairly open distribution platforms to acquire user eyeballs. VCs are not interested in content so much as they are interested in ROI. They may not even listen to your pitch unless is ladened with acronyms such as MAU, DAU and AARPU.

Crowdfunding sites seem to offer a new glimmer of hope for indies to fund their dream projects, but it is still uncertain that each project (no matter how worthy) will reach their goal without some star talent attached. Time will tell. Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!