The best GUI

Started by
22 comments, last by _mark_ 12 years, 1 month ago
Hello everybody...

I'm a beginner C++, I've been already coding for console,but now I think it's the time to move to window application,
So my question is What is best GUI and why?
i've been searching on the web and I found (MFC, QT, wxWidgets), but I really don't know which one to choose.
So HELP ME PLEASE.sad.png

Note:
I'm for sure wanna be a games programmer at the end.

Thanks
Advertisement
If you're a beginner, the console.
best GUI for what ?

What platform(s) ?
Game or Desktop Application ?

Both QT and wxWidgets are good Desktop GUI APIs (QT is also good for Symbian/Meego mobile apps), i personally prefer QT but you're likely to find alot of people here who prefer wxWidgets aswell, look at some example code for them and pick the one that seems easiest to start with. (Switching API is fairly trivial anyway)

I'd recommend against MFC as it is:
1) Crap
2) Not included with the express edition of Visual Studio
3) Crap

If you are going to make games rather than GUI applications then something like SFML or SDL will be a better option.

You can also use plain old Win32 if you restrict yourself to the Windows platform, its good enough for simple stuff or you can go the .Net route and use WinForms (Which is pretty darn awesome but you probably want to swtich to C# then)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Ok I've done alot of codes in console and still doing, but I'm not gonna stuck all my life with console rolleyes.gif
So any advice from you "Telastyn".

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There is no good answer to this question.

QT is pretty awesome, but, it extends C++ with some custom keyword and constructs.
MFC causes brain damage, avoid at all costs.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]wxWidgets I am not very familiar with.. but they should be more C++like.. the other options I can suggest are:[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]GTK+. Never used it, can't comment.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Microsoft CLI/C++ managed c++ however they call it. I did use an it is not that bad.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]But seriously, for GUI application you should stick to C# .NET/MONO and, if you really want, your logic in C++.[/font]

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

best GUI for what ?

What platform(s) ?
Game or Desktop Application ?

1- best GUI for window programming. if I understood your quesition.
2- I know that mfc is for MS windows, and eather qt or wxWidget is a cross plateform, which make them in higher position than mfc.
3- Desktop Applications, but sooner or later I will start programming for games.
Thanks
C++ is a terrible language for GUI design and implementation.

I second C#. The WinForms editor is stupid easy to learn and gives you a lot of power with minimal investment. C# is not hard to learn and is also easy to bind to C++ if you need the raw speed. (Hint: you may think you do, but you don't.)

There's also Java which has a similar flavor to C#, but Java is a meh language at best, and the UI toolkits are a nightmare to work with for nontrivial designs. Unless you need Java or can use something like Android's UI toolkit, I wouldn't bother.

If you're on a Mac, the Interface Builder/Cocoa combination is about as close as you'll get to WinForms. Almost as good but not quite, and you have to use Objective C and Xcode, which are not exactly great (well, Xcode is more the problem than Objective C, frankly).

Just in case the basic trend hasn't become apparent: don't use C++ for UI implementation if you can possibly avoid it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I would also second Qt, I think it's fantastic. There is also an extensive library available at your disposal. See: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/5.0-snapshot/qtcore.html Qt is perfectly fine for desktop programs, you will want to look into QtCreator as well if you choose to use it.
Go with wxWidgets or Qt. Definitely not MFC or the other fringe options.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement