What a good college must have?

Started by
25 comments, last by swiftcoder 12 years, 1 month ago
hey guys... so, i wanna be a game programmer, and im going to college in august. But there's a problem: I need to go to one with a good computer science program, with the right courses and stuff. And there's a detail: I'm brazilian that is getting a scholarship playing tennis in usa, so I can't go to colleges like digipen because they dont have sports there.
So I was wondering if you could help me saying what are the basics that any good college for computer programmers should have, the courses and stuff.. This would be very helpful.
sorry if there are any english mistakes, as I said, i'm brazilian haha
Advertisement
Go to a school that offers Computer Science specifically.

Some schools offer degrees that are similar, but are different. DigiPen does not offer a bachelor's degree in computer science. They offer similar degrees, and they offer a masters degree in computer science, but not a BS in CS.

Any major school offering a proper CS degree will include minimal courses to become competent.

You should take some additional courses even if your school doesn't require them. Many schools recommend but do not require advanced math. For math I recommend calculus, linear algebra, and statistics, even if the school does not require them. I also recommend at least one technical writing class (generally from the business department) and some physics. Take all the CS classes you find interesting, even if they are not required.
Oh, I see.. but do you think any degree in Computer Science would be good? Because I'm going to usa with a company, and they're choosing the college for me, but I'm afraid that they choose a bad college, so I was thinking in sending them a list of some courses that the college should have.
So far I got this:

Programming
Assembly level programming
Computer Architecture
Software Engineering
Computer Graphics
Data Structure
Algorithms
Communication Networks
Al and Expert Systems
Human Factors
Mathematics
Physics
Web development
Software development

I don't know if they're all really required.. But what do you think about this list?
Here is a quick way to rule out some colleges... Is the college accredited? If no, move on! If yes, continue researching it.
Is the company forcing you to live in a certain area of the country, or are there a list of good tennis schools you can choose from?

Oh, I see.. but do you think any degree in Computer Science would be good? Because I'm going to usa with a company, and they're choosing the college for me, but I'm afraid that they choose a bad college, so I was thinking in sending them a list of some courses that the college should have.
So far I got this:

Programming
Assembly level programming
Computer Architecture
Software Engineering
Computer Graphics
Data Structure
Algorithms
Communication Networks
Al and Expert Systems
Human Factors
Mathematics
Physics
Web development
Software development

I don't know if they're all really required.. But what do you think about this list?
Why are you so concerned what people think of your college? The things that you are able to do are far more important than the classes you're going to take. You may take far more courses than someone else but that means little if you didn't learn to program or if you can't write or if you can't read technical documents.

So what that you didn't take an AI or a graphics course? Maybe the college doesn't have these. You may still end up better than someone else who did take those courses. Someone passionate about AI or graphics isn't going to wait around until they take a class in it or until they find a better school.

What you learn in college is largely up to you. Want to learn math? Algorithms? AI? Graphics? Pick-up a book and start reading. Yeah, it's very nice to have someone else explain everything to you, but in a fast paced industry like software/games those who can't learn on their own are not going to make it.
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

What you learn in college is largely up to you.

What resources the college has isn't. You have to learn on your own regardless, but there's no need to make your life harder by paying for help that is bad, or isn't well suited to what you want to learn.

Here is a quick way to rule out some colleges... Is the college accredited? If no, move on! If yes, continue researching it.

I was doing that, but I heard that the ABET accreditation is not that big of a deal for Computer Science. A lot of good schools aren't accredited in CS but the course is great.

Is the company forcing you to live in a certain area of the country, or are there a list of good tennis schools you can choose from?

Let me try to explain how it is. The company I'm going with has a lot of contacts in the US with several trainers and colleges. So they do all the talk and negotiations. They need to see if my grades are good enough for the school and if I play good enough to get a scholarship there. So it's kinda hard for me to just choose one good university, you know? That's why I'm asking you guys what are some basic courses for me to go, or maybe some good school facts like if its a research college or not... Something that makes me sure im going to a good college. I know that college isn't everything and I'll probably gonna have to take some courses online or on my own, but regardless that its still a pretty big decision to make...

[quote name='Jesse7' timestamp='1330370277' post='4917102']
What you learn in college is largely up to you.

What resources the college has isn't. You have to learn on your own regardless, but there's no need to make your life harder by paying for help that is bad, or isn't well suited to what you want to learn.
[/quote]

yeaah thats what I think too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement