• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
noey699

Would this be a good way to handle terrain transitions

This topic is 2481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using XNA and my own game engine with visual studio.

The way I am thinking of handling terrain transitions is by using an effect, I pass in all the necessary textures for each block corresponding to the different adjacent blocks and it is a simple fade between the various textures. I was wondering if this would be a good way of handling them. BTW I am not looking for a photo-realistic transition this is a game I am developing myself so I cant spend too much time on one aspect. The problem I am thinking might happen is too many textures being passed to the GPU on one update because each block can have a possible of 9 textures that is needed to calculate the transition.

If this is not a good way can you suggest other simple ways of handling transitions. I am planing on having about 15 - 25 different tiles by the end of it so it needs to be auto-generated where to place them and not have all the transitions pre-generated into textures as to not increase the content size of the game.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

EDIT: To explain the technologies I am using

Advertisement
BTW I am not looking for a photo-realistic transition this is a game I am developing myself so I cant spend too much time on one aspect. The problem I am thinking might happen is too many textures being passed to the GPU on one update because each block can have a possible of 9 textures that is needed to calculate the transition.
I recall reading an article on GPU Gems 2, Chap 28 - Mipmap level measurement. This is not exactly what you're trying to do but it appears fairly related to me. It also appears fairly complicated.
I strongly suggest to leave texture LOD out.
First: run the numbers. How much megs of textures are we talking about? Is it possible to just store them in VRAM?
If not: consider out-of-core chunking or terrain clipmaps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!