• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cifa

Some very dumb question from a dreamer

This topic is 2476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there,

I'm currently a student in Computer Science at La Sapienza University in Rome, my goal and dream is to get into the industry so I've decided to get a MSc in Hull after my BSc. However my ideas are still very very confused, so I'm asking you some very very dumb questions (of which I may know the answer, but I want to have my ideas clear) :

1- I've noticed that Graphics Programming is actually the core of games programming, but, even if I've a vague idea, I would like to ask if you can expose me a couple of example to understand what is the job of a graphics programmer.

1b- This is a very dumb one; What is the edge between an artists and a graphics programmer ? What artistic skills should a programmer have ?

2- What skills I've to develop from now on ? I'm currently learning C++ (at University we've done a bit of C and Java) and I've heard that also mathematical skills are fundamental (basically linear algebra ? Which other maths ?)... what else ?

I'm so sorry if those are stupid questions, and probably I've also answers for those, but I want to make my mind clear and only experts can help me out.

Oh, and also sorry for my English, I beg you to correct what's wrong.

Thank you so much!

Francesco

Advertisement

[font=Arial, sans-serif]An artist (as opposed to an art tech or a tech artist) does not need to know programming.[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]A programmer does not need to know art, unless he's a "graphics programmer" as you said. [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Then he needs to know how graphics intersect code -- he doesn't need to be a Rembrandt himself. [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]He needs to know enough to communicate with the artists, and hopefully someone in the art team speaks enough technical jargon to be able to communicate with the graphics programmer.[/font]

1- I've noticed that Graphics Programming is actually the core of games programming, but, even if I've a vague idea, I would like to ask if you can expose me a couple of example to understand what is the job of a graphics programmer.

If you are working on a game that's using OpenGL, you are that guy who knows all about OpenGL. How to render meshes, texture mapping, shader, lighting, and including optimizing the rendering.

1b- This is a very dumb one; What is the edge between an artists and a graphics programmer ? What artistic skills should a programmer have ?
[/quote]
Artists are artists. They draw and model. They don't write code.
Graphics programmer write code to render the models created by artists. They don't draw. Should a graphics programmer have some artistic skill? Not necessarily, but it'll certainly make the distinction if he has artist eyes.

2- What skills I've to develop from now on ? I'm currently learning C++ (at University we've done a bit of C and Java) and I've heard that also mathematical skills are fundamental (basically linear algebra ? Which other maths ?)... what else ?
[/quote]

Programming itself doesn't require deep mathematical skills. Algebra and logic is enough to get anybody pass programming classes. Being able to write efficient algorithms, however, require more math fundamentals.
Graphics programmer, in addition to all of the above, also need to learn linear algebra. This includes vectors, planes, and matrices.

1- I've noticed that Graphics Programming is actually the core of games programming

This isn't entirely accurate. Many professional game programmers never touch the rendering systems of their games... Almost all games do need some kind of graphics system, but they also need audio, AI, menus, input handling, networking, etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!