Game development and funding

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 1 month ago
I did a quick search on funding and didn't find much, so forgive me if this has been asked.
I get the idea of development and everything I need to get the game development started.
What I need is a form of funding. I've been planning and putting together my game for 7 years now
and just need a place to start. Which 3D engine is suggested most on here? I was thinking of Torque 3D
or Unity. I already have a small team brainstorming, working on content (skills, items, equipment). Has anyone here
been able to get a loan, or someone to invest in their Idea. I'm not going to give my idea out here as thousands could
take it. I will only tell my idea to the investors or anyone who will help fund to help reduce leaks of information.
I'm extremely busy right now and don't need a run around, and cannot get started on what I need until I get more information
about everything and anything related. Any help is welcome, flamers and assholes can go away right now.
Advertisement
1) Ideas are close to worthless, don't worry about sharing them
2) Funding is almost impossible to get unless you have a solid trackrecord (investors won't invest unless they have a good reason to believe that you will be successful, noone, not even a really awful investor will invest in an idea or a team that hasn't allready proven that they have what it takes to succeed)
3) All studios that are big today started out with small, simple games that they could pull off without external funding, You should consider doing the same.

Thus my recommendation is:

Make smaller games that you can afford to complete using your own money and use the profits from those to fund the bigger ones. (Several successful smaller titles will also greatly increase your chances of finding willing investors)

As far as engines go it is impossible to make a recommendation without knowing anything about your game, Your lead programmer should be fully capable of making that decision for you though.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Funding is a Business question, so I moved this. Doc, you should look at some of the other threads on funding here in the Business forum, see answers other askers have gotten.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement