Design by comittee

Started by
19 comments, last by jefferytitan 12 years ago
It is really good to see some interest!

Plan of attack is to follow a typical development cycle starting with pre-production, build a prototype and being production in which we will use weekly sprints to follow our progress (we will use google doc's to follow the sprints).

As well, i am willing to put in the majority or effort on this project but, if you are going to submit an idea or design please be willing to do some follow up research or work. ( I feel 1 of your hours to 5 of my hours. This could range from drawing pictures to writing our documents or cutting up video footage of a game to communicate an idea. The better communicated and displayed idea's will probable be more likely to get chosen.)

Tho shall refer to objects when possible as grey cubes. This is to prevent a large amount of pretext from entering into the design.

For example I would prefer, The player character is a grey cube that can move left and right jump his own height has the ability to melee attack, he also has the ability to shoot objects with a grey cube which will pull him to that location.

Rather then, The player is a ninja who can move left and right he has the ability to jump his own height he can attack with his ninja sword he also has a chain shot which he can shoot at objects to move himself to the location of that object..

The later seems more entertaining because of the pretext "ninja's are sweet" i feel that it is not a fair way to judge mechanics and thus the I would really like to drill down into design of mechanics and grey cube metaphor is a good way to rid yourself of that pretext. ( I do realize that a certain point it breaks)

This will also prevent from story getting into the design, not that i don't think story is important it is but gameplay is king as a such that should be awesome before we introduce a story to it.

Scope: I am only one man, so scope will have to be kept on the low side, however if the idea is awesome enough and more people want to put some serious effort in then we can expand on scope. THIS MEANS NO MMO's ;)

All right lets hear some idea's!

Please if you feel their should be more guidelines or you need more direction on what i am asking of you feel free to ask!
Advertisement
Just so you know, you might not want to call it that wink.png
Design by committee is a term referring to a style of design and its resultant output when a group of entities comes together to produce something, particularly in the presence of poor leadership. The defining characteristics of "design by committee" are needless complexity, internal inconsistency, logical flaws, banality, and the lack of a unifying vision.[/quote]
Needless complexity? Internal inconstistency? Logical flaws? Count me in!

</sarcasm>

I would actually be quite interested. I frequently get ideas for games that I have no chance of making with my lack of artistic talent and unfortunate ineptitude regarding mathematics. Throwing some ideas around sounds like a grand ol' time. As long as an entertaining game gets made, I'm up for it.

I'm more the advisor type, y'know? An ideas man, not an executive.
I don't believe in signatures.
I am definitely interested in this. I have got a couple of ideas that I feel would never be heard without something like this
Brainstorming ideas into reality. Finally my molded Jello army will rise! Count me interested.
What are the guidelines? This is already seemingly falling into the "internal inconsistency" just by the lack of structured info needed to actually build something. sad.png

Just so you know, you might not want to call it that wink.png
Design by committee is a term referring to a style of design and its resultant output when a group of entities comes together to produce something, particularly in the presence of poor leadership. The defining characteristics of "design by committee" are needless complexity, internal inconsistency, logical flaws, banality, and the lack of a unifying vision.

[/quote]

Well i guess hoping that we can leave our ego's and political view and other nonsense at the door and just focus on the art of design.

I am an idealist what can i say! rolleyes.gif
Okay, I'll bite. The player is a grey cube that can move around and jump in a 2D or 3D maze. The player also has keys to resize themselves one magnitude larger or smaller. The maze is fractal, so there are paths and enemies (grey cubes) at all magnitude levels smaller than the beginning size. When you're bigger you can stomp enemies and travel quickly, when you're smaller you can squeeze through tiny gaps in the walls. Preferably it is not possible to complete the maze using one size only.
The player is a grey cube that can change to different shaped grey cubes. The enemy is also a grey cube thay change to different grey cubes. Each shape of grey cube has strengths over some grey cube shapes and weaknesses against other grey cube shapes. Grey cubes have a large array of shapes they can choose but a limited array is chosen between each battle.
This one's 2D, side-scrolling, with minor platforming. The player assumes the role of a grey cube, with an assortment of different weapons. The player picks up key grey cubes and uses them to solve logical puzzles, and receives storyline information by grey cubes that they recover from around the levels. Sometimes the player has to jump over small chasms, swim through flooded areas, navigate dark rooms by grey cube, or repair grey cubes with items found in about the level.

There are numerous types of enemies, some quick and weak, some strong and slow, some ranged, some melee, some a mix of everything. Balance between the ability and wisdom in fighting enemies (They are no longer in the room and thus it is safe to travel through) and the wisdom in avoiding them (conserve grey cubes, grey cubes, and grey cubes) is part of the scheme of the combat system. The player is capable of jumping over small enemies and, with proper timing, has the ability to perform a "juke" that will place them on the other side of larger enemies (the player can also vault over some foes if they stun it with their grey cube weapon). The player can jump higher and farther with momentum, and can slide with sufficient running speed, allowing them to bypass many types of enemies if they execute the maneuvers correctly.

The player can recover their vitality slowly over time if they have [grey cubes] in stock, or can immediately heal with a [grey cube]. There are boss grey cubes that require tactics and logical thinking, as well as boss grey cubes that require reflexes and precision. There are many areas that the player is not required to go, but will be rewarded for doing so (though grey cubes, "ammunition" to use grey cubes, or plot grey cubes). It's up to the player if they want to experience the plot in its entirety or simply complete the levels.
I don't believe in signatures.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement