Started by
2 comments, last by Halifax2 12 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone I'm going to GDC Wednesday and I'm finishing everything up on my portfolio and I was wondering if people can give me some feedback on it.

My portfolio is located at http://www.micah-hawman.com

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Most of the things I am going to mention is mostly a personal preference, but feedback is feedback! So do with it what you please :)

• It feels like a blog with the "post a comment" at every page. I don't like that in a portfolio. (I noticed you're using wordpress with a theme. Some people like it, some don't for using that as a portfolio. I prefer simple html/css templates)
  • Don't make pages that have no content, I am looking at your professional work page here. If I would be visiting your site, get excited to see you've done professional work, I will end up being disappointed to see you have nothing in there.
  • There is no use in differentiating your personal and educational work in my opinion. Personally I would just mention that this was an assignment for School/College/Uni and divide the work in separate topics like Games, Tech or Tools or something more in depth.
  • Think about making a different page for every assignment. Some persons don't bother with scrolling down pages to see if there is more. Or, in your case, might not notice a new project, they don't always stand out as a new project.
  • It's ok to refer to your twitter, post a link to it or something, but I don't really like feeds on a portfolio.

From what I've learned from other portfolios and the feedback I got, is that people generally want to get to the point, see your work, easy to navigate or find what they are looking for. They don't really care about what you tweeted (and if they do, they can follow you with a provided link).

Just my 2 cents, good luck with building/refining your portfolio :)
Why are you building the site?

Are you using it to try to find a job? Are you using it as a newsfeed for your personal projects? Are you using it as a blog? Pick ONE.

If you can't, then use portfolio.yourname.com, or projects.yourname.com, or blog.yourname.com, or other markers so that each site has a clear purpose.

Your "personal work" page is what I would expect in a programmer portfolio. It would need to have more details of the coding that you did, why you made choices that you did, and so forth. I would expect that to be the sole purpose of the site, not a daily work blog about how you started your internship.
In addition to everything said above I have my own $0.02.

If you're going to put up letters of recommendation, they should say more than what your transcript and course syllabi already provide. There's nothing you can do about this now, but in the future look to cultivate real, substantial relationships with people you intend to ask for a letter of recommendation.

Just a little tidbit to think about as you enter your professional career.
Denzel Morris (@drdizzy) :: Software Engineer :: SkyTech Enterprises, Inc.
"When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement