Learning advanced math and physics online?

Started by
3 comments, last by jwezorek 12 years, 1 month ago
Hello,

Well, wasn't really sure this would be the best place to post this, since this IS a game making forum primarily, but I know that the people around here are quite knowful of alot of things not directly related to games as well.

I'm 20, but currently serving in the army, so I'm unable to start real academic learning for until 2 years ahead, however, my plan is to learn either software engineering or computer science, though I'm still not settled on which to go for, but that is not the subject at hand right now.

Either way, there are just some things that I'm interested in learning regardless of college, and as an added bonus, such that could help out later when I do enroll. But I'm quite at a loss at where I should be looking, since most of my results on Google are either directing me at kids' easy-learning books, subjects that are too advanced for me to grasp at this point in time, or courses I can learn at.

I'm really the self teaching kind, and I'd like to atleast try, if possible.
What I'm mostly interested at the moment at learning is calculus for math, and basic physics(Even high school level would do, since I didn't learn any back at school).
Again, this is directed at the actual subjects, and not their application in games, and I'd really like to find somewhere I can find to learn each of these online.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks =)
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure you can use Wiki Books (although they can be lacking in context if you're not the "learn-formula-figure-out-use" guy and you need good examples) to kind of glide at the subjects.

I would very much suggest learning Calculus prior to physics. I find that a lot of concepts in my high school physics class, which is Algebra based, could be explained in about a half hour using Calculus and there will be a lot less formulas to remember, only the relationships between various aspects.

That being said, Khan's Academy has some great math resources on his site. Khan is a very bright guy and his math videos pretty much spoon feed you the concept with explanations so clear that you can see through them. There is a link right in my signature. He also has practice problems on his site but the exercises for math like Calculus are a little bit limited.

Other than that, all I can tell you is to always be sure to look back at the big picture. It is most advantageous to you to realize how the concept you have just learned works with other concepts you already know. You can do many cool things with Algebra, but with Calculus and Algebra you're opening a whole new world of possibilities :D

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Damn, that's alot of info right there D:
That's amazing.

Unfortunately, though, I should probably have specified that I need it to be in reading material, so I can print it or whatnot, and not watching, as I'll mostly go at it while I'm at the army, and not in front of my home computer =P

Any chance you've got something suited for that?
Well, you can print out the wikibooks, they are, after all, books. I don't really know of any other resources, I've only been using these as supplements :D

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

If you can watch videos the best thing for learning calculus would be the MIT OpenCourseWare material for the class 18.01. Along with the videos they have the lecture notes and problem sets up as well. Although, just looking over the lecture titles of the videos ... 18.01 goes through calculus very fast, so might not be the easiest way but at least the material will be solid. Without watching videos, I think your best bet would be to just buy an old college-level calculus textbook online used, they are all about the same; just find one that is cheap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement