What name/symbol to use for this operator?

Started by
6 comments, last by Cornstalks 12 years, 1 month ago
In Tangent, I want to have an operator that takes a method group and a method signature and returns the method from the group that matches the signature (or null).

I've been using 'select' for the operation, but that seems not clear enough and too conflicting with what people expect select to do. I would prefer a word or phrase operator rather than a symbol, but could be convinced otherwise. What should it be?
Advertisement
FindMethodMatchingSignature
Interrobang.

In all seriousness: "matchsignature" or just "match" if you're into the whole brevity thing.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

What's the syntax for your select operator at the moment?

How about an infix operator: <methodGroup> selectSignature <signature>
Or the other way around: <signature> fromMethodGroup <methodGroup>
It is currently an infix operator:

<methodGroup> select <signature>

select <signature> from <method group>
was considered, but has the same sort of conflict issues; the language allows for user defined operators so I don't particularly want to muddle what will almost certainly be used for a SQL-like domain specific language.

select <signature> from <method group>

Could tweak it to:
method <signature> from <method group>
find <signature> in <method group> ?
from <method group> get <signature>? (or: get <signature> from <method group>)

Although since you talked about SQL stuff, I don't know if you want to use the word "from". So maybe a c-c-c-c-combo:

<signature> getfrom <method group>

Or maybe the word pick:

<method group> pick <signature>
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement