Dungeon Finder

Started by
9 comments, last by Helladen 12 years, 1 month ago
How do you guys feel about a dungeon finder feature in a game?

http://polldaddy.com/poll/6000957/
Advertisement
Do you mean something that finds other players to attempt playing through a dungeon, something that helps locate dungeons in an overworld, or neither of those?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes, it will look for players and find a group for you rather than doing it manually.
It depends entirely on how it is implemented and the game in question. Without that detail my view of it varies greatly, it could range from being a reasonable way to form groups to an absolute mess that undermines core elements of the game.

My general issue with the feature is not so much it, but instead how players become reliant on it, viewing it as some messiah feature which is then used by developers as a way to bandaid population issues.
That's very much true, so far I've reviewed a few polls about it elsewhere and decided to make my own poll to see how well it is favored. Despite the low amount of votes it still offers a good direction to go with it.

I'll try to implement it into the game I'm working on, but it will be a long process to do it the right way without ruining the game.

I'll take your opinion into consideration and try to find a way to make players not rely on it so much, thanks very much for your feedback about this issue. :)
Might I suggest "Party Finder" as a better name for the feature -- "dungeon finder" just doesn't really convey what it actually does.

I think it's potentially a good feature, assuming you do a good job with the implementation -- it should be able to offer a good balanced group of (hopefully) similarly experienced players. As mentioned above, it should also fit it with the feel of the game you're building.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes, I am having three restrictions to the system to make it more rewarding to unlock this functionality. Players will have to walk to the entrance once, meet a specific level and equipment requirement.

I'll also change the name to party finder, thanks for the suggestion. :)
Bioware are dead set against adding one to SWTOR. I haven't used the one in WOW, but to me it sounds like a good feature. Given SWTOR already has shuttles to instantly fly you to the fleet so you can participate in flashpoints, their argument is quite ridiculous.

Don't blame the feature for people behaving like morons.
SWTOR was made by a bunch of foolish developers. The game is only popular because it is using the Star Wars franchise, but honestly it has nothing great to even offer so it will likely die within the coming months.
By what logic are they foolish? I don't think you can deny that Bioware are successful.

However they have made many n00b mistakes. The only reason I play is the story part is well done, and there are few bugs that really affect me. I don't see myself staying long term, as I feel like I wield a glowing nerf bat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement