Unity 3D Basic for iOS and Android free until April 8th

Started by
10 comments, last by lmbarns 12 years ago
Title pretty much says it all, announced on Unity3D's twitter feed:

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]We are excited to offer [/font][s]#[/s]unity3d[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,] Mobile Basic for FREE! Download by April 8 to save up to $800! [/font]https://store.unity3d.com/

It may sound too good to be true, and their servers are getting absolutely hammered, but as you can see here I did manage to get in to the online store through a sea of Error 500's and this deal appears to be legit!

Pretty awesome news for indie developers all around. Actually... this should probably be news here... free Unity is pretty huge news.
Advertisement
managed to slowly make my way through the shopping process, required a few refreshes on the 500's but now got a licence in my email inbox ready to have a play with when I get home from work.

managed to slowly make my way through the shopping process, required a few refreshes on the 500's but now got a licence in my email inbox ready to have a play with when I get home from work.

Yeah, I eventually made it through. Testament to how much I wanted Unity free... I did a LOT of refreshes.
I've been thinking of coughing up the $400 for the android version, almost did it two weeks ago. I'm glad I waited!
Dang server keeps giving 500 server error hehe. Can't wait! Want it NAO! I was thinking of buying a student version for $299 or whatever of all the unity pro versions but this should do fine.

I've been thinking of coughing up the $400 for the android version, almost did it two weeks ago. I'm glad I waited!

Apparently they "did the right thing" and are compensating recent purchasers. I have to say, Unity seems to be a pretty class act

Now I just wish monotouch/monodroid ( the tech behind Unity ), would do the same thing! :) I would love to have both products, but I'm not forking out 400$, especially for Monodroid which is unusable on the emulator, so I can't evaluate how well it actually works in the real world.
That's really pretty darn nice. I just secured a license (no server errors either, though by the speed, they are clearly getting hammered).

Now I might actually build something using unity... Though I still wish they didn't charge so damn much for image-based effects.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Just got my license yesterday without problems. I must have gotten there after the first big rush. =)
yeah me too........
**dances**
**sings**
**codes**
=) what?
really though. thanks you so MUCH.
i owe you one (dont expect to much)

IVE GOT UNITY 4 FREE WITHOUT BREAKING ANY LAWS
ill use this for some nice games. when i finish QUANTA.
CUZ NOW IM GOIN 3D
:D

sorry about that.
With the influx of interest in Unity ( due to the whole free thing! ), a lot more people have come on board. A number of publishers have come on board too, as there are now over a dozen books on unity.

So I've put together this Unity book round-up which lists all of the current Unity books, their publisher/author/page count/table of contents/description/average rating/etc... all on a single page. So if you are looking to pick up a Unity book and are overwhelmed by the options, this is a good place to start.

I am trying to keep it as comprehensive as possible, so if I missed something or a new book comes out, please let me know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement