• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kheyas

Help a beginner

9 posts in this topic

Hello friend programmers!
I am a young guy that wants to use his spare time more interesting. I'm at highschool and I'm 15 years old. At school we learn C++ and solve "basic" problems.
I've always dreamed to work in the game industry. So... to the point. Where can i start basic game development? Like... 2D games? Probably using C++.
I tried to find some tutorials for XNA and DirectX, but they seem to be very few of them and I don't feel so confident. I tried sometime to use SDL and Allegro but I had problems installing the files, linkers and stuff like that. So i don't know where to start. Can someone point me in a direction? Tell me what they did...

Thanks! [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Hey,
My advice to you would be not to rush things. Stuff like DirectX and OpenGL should only be attempted in my opinion after a few 2d games. So my advice would be to try and get SDL or Allegro to work. They are both good tools to get your 2d game going. However, if you just want to practice the project management part you could even try text based games. This tutorial should help you set up SDL regardless of your IDE : http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/index.php . The tutorials in that website are also a good start to learning how to addle some aspects of game development. Hope it helps.

Okay, thanks for the advice! Will try what you said. People can still comment here :D .I'd like to see everyone's point of view.
btw: i don't want anything more than a very simple 2d game to start with. Thanks again.

I started with a simple text based game. roll up a character, give them a name, present them with an unending stream of (level appropriate) enemies to attack/defend/flee, provide experience, level them up. Then I added some simple loot and the ability to save/load games.

Took about 3 weeks in the spare time of my high school Pascal class when the Doom games were full.

There's a lot of ways to start off. It really depends on what interests you the most. If you want, you can start of with Unity3d, which is mostly a 3d game engine, but it's really easy to get projects up and running. Plus it's got a great in built physics engine. Unity3d is a tool that requires scripting, so I'd say it does require some effort to use, but it is a really great Integrated Development Environment. Another way to start is to dive right in to something like C++, and try to build something simple. This will require perserverence, as even if you know C++, it takes time to build all the required things. Another way that some people start off is with simple drag and drop interfaces, like Alice 2.0, or GameMaker, and they gradually build up from there. It depends on how much of a challenege you want at first, and how much you are willing to do. There's no wrong way to start. The key is getting started.

Well, Unity3d may look easy but i want to also practice my programming skills(as I said before, i'm not aiming at more than a simple 2d game/simple text game). I tried Gamemaker but it seems weak wtihout learning GML and i don't wanna do that either at the moment. I will go on the same path as [url="http://www.gamedev.net/user/51064-telastyn/"]Telastyn[/url] and try to make a simple text game as it seems I am not even mastering the functions yet ;). Thanks for your help people.
By the way. Can i keep posting here? Like.. Asking for help with lines of code? If so... How can i use a void to end a program?

Khyeas,

I'm also a beginner.. you may think that Unity is easy and you may not learn programming skills.. but that is wrong. By learning Unity3D or UDK you'll improve your conceptual knowledge. Once you understand the concepts you can move over to XNA. You'll start to understand why and how things are done so and so. After you are comfortable with XNA you can drop one level lower to Dx 9 / 11

[quote name='Kheyas' timestamp='1331010437' post='4919678']
By the way. Can i keep posting here? Like.. Asking for help with lines of code?
[/quote]
Absolutely, that's exactly what this forum is here for! [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
If you're asking a new question you might want to start a new topic for it, and if you need help with code don't forget to show us the code you're working with and tell us any error messages you're getting.

[quote name='Kheyas' timestamp='1331010437' post='4919678']
How can i use a void to end a program?
[/quote]
That does't really make sense...

I assume after the above that you're using C++? If you're not using any other libraries (such as SDL) all you need to do is return from the main function of your program, just as you would for the simple problems you would have worked on in class. You'll need to provide some code if you need a more direct explanation than that, as it's hard to guess exactly what you might be doing otherwise.

I got it finally. Asked my teacher at school today(I had to use exit(0) to get shut down the program,otherwise it would just keep asking for numbers to get around the menu. ;) ). I really got into the text-based game. I won't stop until i consider it close to something that can be called a game. Thank you all for the support :).

Use a conditional to leave a loop. exit(0) really should never be used. You should leave the program by reaching the end of main();

Like this
[code]
bool bRun = true;
while(bRun) {
// The user indicated he wants to quit
if (Input == QUIT_INPUT) {
bRun = false;
}
}

// reach end of main, program ends
[/code]

Or, you can always use break to exit a loop