Cross Platform Audio Programming

Started by
4 comments, last by Cacks 12 years, 1 month ago
Hi Guys,

I want to make a game for Windows & Mac. Are there any cross platform Sound programming libraries? Is OpenAL pretty much gone now?

cheers
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
Advertisement
If it's for a personal project, you might want to take a look at fmod. Unless they changed it, it is free for personal use (with some restrictions, check the site for that).

Personally never used OpenAL before, but I still hear people are using it, and I think (not sure) that SDL is using it under the hood, so it might be a viable option still.
OpenAL can give hardware mixed EAX and 3D in Windows Vista and 7 by talking directly to hardware but only for the players with a specific brand of sound cards. I did not get 4.1 surround in hardware OpenAL with my sound card. Then I thought that I might as well use software mixing for the sake of determinism between computers.
One of OpenAL implementations is open-source and works as software mixer without depending on hardware features. It is called OpenAL Soft: http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html
FMOD is probably what you're after.

There's also BASS if you don't mind paying for a licence.

If you do't need anything too complex you could also use the audio part of SFML or SDL.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for your input guys.

Its a commercial game.

Looking like I'm going to have to code the sound for each platform
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement