• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zappah

DirectX 11 How do I open an effects file?

This topic is 2479 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Im obviously new to DirectX and was compiling an example project for rendering sprites too the Screen and i was looking for the Image resource of the sprite and I think it may be in the effects file. Whats up with that? Is there a way to open it up and manipulate the file because I want to change the sprite image to another. Is the Effects file new to directx11? because ive never seen them before now.

Ok I typed in google "How to open an effects file?" and found out you can use a text editor to get to the code. But that doesn't solve my problem. I still haven't found the sprite file. Now I'm thinking that its possibly in the decal.dds document file what ever that is.Man I thought I had this whole video Game development on the raps. lol. There sure is more to it than meets the eyes, But I know one thing. I'm not giving up. It may be challenging, but I think that's why I like it so much. Thanks in advance for any help full information You guys may share.

Advertisement
Hey keep in there :)

The effects files are basically scripts used to make code that the graphics card will run. These are used to make shadders and all sorts.

Your image will most likely be in the DDS file by the sounds of it. This is a directx texture file format. If you want to open it you get a texture tool as part of the directx SDK ( cant remember the exact name type something like Directx Texture Tool into your start menu and you should find it). You can use this tool to save other image files into the directx texture format if you wanted, but you can also use it to just look at the files.

Also note that depending on the example you are looking at it could be possible that all the art assets have been packaged together into a custom file type, but I wouldn't image this to be the case with a example like you have described.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Ok I found the sprite and it is in the dds file as you say and nvidia has a plugin for photoshop here --->

[/font]http://developer.nvi...adobe-photoshop
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

ok now the shader in the effects file sounds way over my head. Is there a good book which can give me an understanding of Shaders with directx?

[/font]

I read the directx 10 book from here http://www.d3dcoder.net/

I found it really useful and made my first 3d game come to life. The author has made a new directx 11 version that is due out within the next week or so I think. I will most likely be picking this up myself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!