Skeletal animation - blender & opengl

Started by
5 comments, last by haegarr 12 years, 1 month ago
So i've been looking around a lot on this subject and it is quite dificult.
What i was thinking, is that, if i can build the armature in blender, and even weight the vertices... isnt there some way to export this information so that i can load the armature into a struct in c++ and work from there? It may be an idiotic question, but im looking everywhere to grasp this subject. At this moment im reading "Computer Animation" by Rick Parent, very good book so far but i need more pratical examples on how to implement skeletal animation in opengl. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
To import your model in order to read it in c++, you can use assimp.
http://assimp.sourceforge.net/.

To import your model in order to read it in c++, you can use assimp.
http://assimp.sourceforge.net/.
Thanks, going to check that. But do you think its a viable way of trying to do skeletal animation?
Blender's own file format isn't especially easy to parse. Assimp mentioned in their documentation that blend files belong to "These formats support animations, but ASSIMP doesn't yet support them (or they're buggy)". I have no clue whether this is related to armatures, but at least it sounds as to be related to key-framing.

However, what is the intention? When we speak of an animation system as is useful for games, i.e. it permits animation blending and perhaps layering, being able to load an animatable model or even animation prescriptions is just the beginning. You still have to drive the animations and do the skinning. I personally found Cal3D (at home here) interesting at its time. That project is somewhat old, but the principles still hold. Perhaps you can get some useful insights from it, too.
Yes the intention would be to animate in a game engine, but with complicated models i assumed it would be very tricky to assign the weight of the vertex to the bones, so if i could somehow use what was done in blender it would be nice. I really just intend to get some grasp of how skeletal animation is done to be honest. Im going to look around cal3d.

Yes the intention would be to animate in a game engine, but with complicated models i assumed it would be very tricky to assign the weight of the vertex to the bones, so if i could somehow use what was done in blender it would be nice. I really just intend to get some grasp of how skeletal animation is done to be honest. Im going to look around cal3d.

Besides other threads here, we had some detailed discussion back in 2008 about the implementation of an animation blending and layering system (click here). However, it doesn't deal with imports from a DCC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement