College Degree

Started by
5 comments, last by daviangel 12 years, 1 month ago
I've been studying C#, XNA, Silverlight for awhile and completed a couple of home grown projects. I have previous experience in C++ but wanted to do apps & games for windows phone / pc / xbox (where my passion is at)..

I don't mind branching out to asp.net, sql, ado.net, java and where ever C#/silverlight may take me. // I may go back to c++ with qt4 later when I comfortable with the everything else.

I was wondering which College Degree will help me reinforce these skills (possibly getting a job). I honestly don't think I can do the math required from Computer Science. Actually, I can probably do the math but feel comfortable (going my own pace) at home then at class. Any advice will be appreciated, ty.
Advertisement
Why not just get a Masters in Game Design or Development? Or a course in whichever area of game development interests you?

Depends on where you are geographically, but several universities across the world have specialized degrees in game development and teach various aspects (storyboarding, graphics, engine development etc) and provide sufficient hands-on game dev experience. University of Pennsylvania, USA has a good course and provide plenty of team-oriented game development assignments. They do have some math (vectors, drawing algorithms, collision detection etc) though. Some other universities offer courses with lower amounts of math, but therefore focus less on core graphics programming (programming, not artwork) and more on other aspects.

The experience/interest you mention appears to be more inclined to front-end/web-based/mobile games, so you might or might not enjoy the courses I mentioned above. YMMV.

Of course, the anti-answer is to not do a college degree in games and instead learn it yourself using online resources and build games for fun. Your game might even become popular! Minecraft is an indie game, and not from a big game studio or company. There is nothing unusual about this and a large number of game developers are self-taught and never did game-oriented courses.

Cheers
~dd~
If you want to program for a living, a Computer Science degree is what you want.

If you want to program for a living, a Computer Science degree is what you want.

Yep.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Will computer information systems be of any use?

You mean, as one or more classes taken during pursuit of a CS degree, if you want to be a programmer of games?
Sure. If you want to take those classes, go for it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

From what you said about math that is your only choice IMO ,since any decent college offering you a Computer Science degree will include lots of math compared to computer information systems degree.
For example, I know of plenty of friends/co-workers that even got a masters in computer information systems with no more math than algebra.
I mention discrete math to them and they have no clue what I'm talking about biggrin.png sad but true.
My school required tons of calculus, discrete math, linear algebra,etc to get my Computer Science degree as most schools do. Those that couldn't handle i.e. pass the required math usually switched to computer information system,which included most web programmers since it didn't require any math at all.
I honestly don't see how you can do any serious game programming without as much math as you can take.
If you stick to web, business programming I can see how but even then a basic knowledge of discrete math should still be required and reinforce your programming since a ton of the data structures, algorithms can be traced right back to graph theory from discrete.

p.s. Also, I would try giving math another go especially with all the resources available today like Khan Academy, MIT and Standford Itunes University math courses covering everything you ever need. I know it would've made all my math courses a ton easier or it seems like it would've from what I've seen since my book/instructors weren't nearly as good at explaning things.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement