• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MichaelCrook

Compression of asset files into one file...

This topic is 2477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone recomend a good library for compressing a bunch of resource files into a single file (compressed it great, but not required) so that during run time they can be opened and used... I have looked into zlib, although I can only find ways to compress single files into a zip which is then unzipped into the file again...

What I need is so that I can zip into a single file multiple resource files (character models/skins/audio/etc) into a single zip which I can then during execution unzip so that it can be read directly into an .3DS/jpg/mp3 loader, if I need to make a temporary file to store the unzipped data, that is doable, but I really like the idea of unzipping it in the program and loading it without having to have a temporary file somwhere on the computer.

zlib might be able to do this, but I can seem to figure out how.

Thanks

Advertisement

PhysicsFS is intended for exactly such usage, and is available under a zlib licence.

Hope that helps!

It does, thank you VERY much, I was wondering though, following this guide I could not see how I could pass a file name into my model loader... The model loader I am using I have the source for though, so I can re write it, but is there any way (that you know of) to use PhysicsFS so that you can give a file name for the model loader to use?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!