• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dejan7

OpenGL OpenGL "VS" Box2d

This topic is 2476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

me and my friend want to make one simple 2D platform game just for fun and to learn new stuff. We kinda split our roles in such way that i learn and do openGL and he learns and does box2d - the physics engine. We would just like to know - is this a fair labor division? Do box2d and openGL require similar effort and time to learn? Or maybe you could give us some advice how to better to organize this. Thanks!

PS sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Advertisement
On an apples-to-apples basis OpenGL is a larger, much lower-level and more complicated API than Box2D.

However...

The division of labor between the two of you depends on much more than just the APIs you'll use to implement features. There's much more to implementing a game simulation than just learning Box2D. And there's much more to implementing the video to a game than just learning OpenGL. Calls to these libraries will make up only a small portion of each of your code utilizing these APIs.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!