• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VISQI

Where to learn UnrealScript?

This topic is 2469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey
I am still new to UDK(started out yesterday).
I have two questions though. Why use UnrealScript?? Meaning what can be programmed in UDK Ed that doesn't already exist in the toolbars??
And, where can someone learn UnrealScript?? The syntax seems easy, but how can you modify something with UnrealScript??

Advertisement
Why use UnrealScript??[/quote]

Hi

If you want to make a game with almost identical gameplay with the UT you could possibly do it without writing any new code but in any other case you will have to use unrealscript to define the objects of your game and (especially) their behaviour.

where can someone learn UnrealScript??[/quote]

After you get familiar with UnrealScript basic features/syntax I'd recommend reading the topics in this page: http://udn.epicgames...ammingHome.html in order to get an understanding of how things work in high level.

The best way to continue in my opinion is to study the existing code.Download an IDE such as Wotgreal or nFringe which provide syntax highlighting and easy navigation between the source files and take a look at how the existing code is organized, especially the main classes such as Actor, Pawn, GameInfo, etc.

I believe that the best way to start writing your own stuff is to extend from an existing class from the UTGame package, so you can change just the part of the code you want without losing the rest of the functionality (for example use the UTPawn class to create a new character). Of course, there are also many short tutorials in the epic forums.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!