Please help me - old web dev guy needs insight into becoming a game dev

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years ago
Hello you all
First, sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

So I'm a 35 years OLD guy, been doing Flash (as3) dev for most of the past 10 years, with some PHP, JavaScript, HTML, XSLT, etc... I'm self-taught developer - I studied fine arts and done some website/print art direction too - and since Flash is sort of dying slowly, ans since I always wanted to do games anyway (but never took time to really think about it) now I think is the right time, though I'm a bit old and it's a bit scary. The learning curve to become a real game dev seems really steep. I don't know where to start.

I've just started learning Unity and C#. It is quite easy and fun, though I would really like to start working right now! I can't stand doing another "personal projects" for the sake of learning. I've done this quite enough in my young days, learning Flash at home etc. I would love to work with a team on some real project, and learning while doing it.

I just don't know what I should do exactly. The thing is I'd also like to work on the art side of a game, I have a lot of ideas, I know a couple of things about style and stuff... I'm a very creative person and I'm not sure I should concentrate on coding, though this is what I do for a living since 10+ years.

Anyway. Any sort of idea or suggestion is welcome, I just need some fresh air and a few tips.
Thanks

rb
Advertisement
Moving this to the breaking in forum.

Please read the breaking in FAQs. I believe they cover your question pretty thoroughly.
35 isn't too old. Read the FAQs. Then ask some more questions if you need to.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks guys, I'll read the FAQs.
Since you have a strong art background u can break into the industry through your art skills. Casual game companies are looking for people with strong graphic design talents since most causal games are 2D of some sort.. You can collaborate with others and put out small projects show casing your skills, nothing impresses hiring managers more than completed professional projects..

Good Luck!
Hi RB,

One thing that you might consider is taking a look at UI design and development. Several games use a middle-ware solution called Scaleform which uses Flash, and your combination of fine arts, scripting, and Flash experience could make you the perfect candidate.

For example: http://jobs.gamasutr...words=interface

Best,

Destin
http://www.ineedtomakegames.com
Another vote for your AS3 experience. Learn some game dev in your spare time and be in a good position to walk into casual games studio requiring AS3 developers.
Yes, the AS3 experience is very important. Will be used for many many years to come.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
Please don't necro old threads.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement