Physics engine for Mario 64 like platformer?

Started by
3 comments, last by japro 12 years, 1 month ago
I'm aware of the list, but I'm not sure what of those libraries would be more suitable for this game. The game has a static 3d world and spheres that can bounce when they collide with a wall. So... what is the simplest library for this work?

Thank you very much guys!
Advertisement
To be honest, most platformers disobey the laws of physics so much that a physics library isn't even used. What's usually done for "physics" in a platformer is simple collision detection, very simple collision resolution, and a couple simple hacks for gravity and maybe friction. It's usually easier to implement these basic things yourself than twist a pre-existing physics library to disobey the laws of physics so much.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Can you suggest a good collision detection library? The best I could found was limited to AABB and Spheres. I'm using Javascript so I guess I would have to convert it by myself, so I would really appreciate a readable/modifiable library that allows collision checking for any mesh.
Box2D is the one you want

Box2D is the one you want

No, it isn't since it doesn't do 3d.

Chance are high that actually spheres and boxes are perfectly adequate. You can built collision hierarchies out them to handle more "complicated" shapes. Actually as long as you don't need polygon collision I wouldn't even bother with a library. AABBs and Sphere collisions are trivial... pretty much one liners actually.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement